SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38330 - 05/22/00 02:38 AM how to record drums
mahouben Offline

Loc: Netherlands
hello,

My setup is a pc (III 600,256mb,10 gb) with the maxi studio isis card: http://www.guillemot.com/northamerica/main/products/isis/index.shtml

Soon i'll be making a demo for our band and i want to record (multitrack 8 channels) the band into my computer. I've never recorded drums before. What's the best way to record drums?
Any more tips & trick on how to record a band?

Thanks!

------------------
grtz,
Angelo Houben
webmaster Tritonhaven.com

#38331 - 05/22/00 09:03 PM Re: how to record drums
tails Offline

The normal practice is to use one mic for each drum piece. But I'd suggest you go for the minimal approach. This lessens the noise you get from too many mics.

Try using a mic for the kick, snare and 2 overheads. This should suffice for your purposes. Important thing is to get your drum kit in tune! And a drummer who can play in time of course! Hope this helps.

#38332 - 05/23/00 02:01 AM Re: how to record drums
mahouben Offline

Thanks! yeah I think i'll give the drummer a clicktrack. (metronome) Do i need special microphones to record the drumpieces? And what about mixing; do i need to use certain effects? (like gate etc)

thanks again!

Angelo

#38333 - 05/23/00 03:11 AM Re: how to record drums
tails Offline

If it's just a demo, any mic will do . Something like a Shure SM58. But if you have condenser mics, use them for the overheads.

As for Fx, that's really personal taste. Maybe you should keep things dry and then apply fx later. But just muck around you'll get the hang of it.

#38334 - 05/25/00 05:05 PM Re: how to record drums
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Apart from the advice Tails gave you, you need to consider the enviremont WHERE you record the acoustic drums!
If it's not a very DRY room, you will end up with a lot of acoustic adds you don't want.
Remeber you can add as much as effects(FX) as you want, but if the Basic recording is adding a lot of unwanted FX, you don't get them out!
A good way for doing the drums , specially if you record a Live piece with all other instruments, is SHIELD the drummer/drums with
Plywood removable walls, top covered and just
a halve open front! (The drummer needs to see the other players. This way you have a very DRY drum recording where you can add Room or other Effects later...
Fred

#38335 - 05/26/00 12:13 AM Re: how to record drums
mahouben Offline

thank both of you so much for the advice! I'll make a document with those keywords that i can use during the recordings.

I was thinking of letting the drummer play in another room (small room) with phones (with the click & instruments on it)

The soundcard has 8 lines-in; how can i record the mics, because i assume the mics give me a balanced output (xlr) and the soundcard has jack-inputs. Do i need a mixer between the mics and the soundcard?

grtz,Angelo

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online