SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#312998 - 01/18/11 06:13 PM Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16????
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Has anyone recorded from an arranger board or module to a Zoom R16 recorder. I'm particularly interested in learning how to record multi tracks since there is no midi clock or any sync option that I can find in the R16. Thanks.
Ciao,
Jerry

#313062 - 01/19/11 08:38 AM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: Jerry T]
WDMcM
Unregistered

Hi Jerry,

I just downloaded the R16 manual and was surprised to find that there is not a MIDI on this unit. Unfortunately I don't see any way of syncing and external device (other than another R16 via USB) to the R16. You're just going to have to do you mixing in the arranger and then record everything down to two tracks for stereo. Then of course you can overdub many more tracks in real time into the R16.

Somewhere I recently saw a little box that can convert USB-type-MIDI to the standard 5 pin DIN plug MIDI but that box isn't going to solve this dilemma.

Best Regards,

Dave

#313121 - 01/19/11 04:45 PM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: ]
Jerry T Offline

Hello Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I kind-a knew that I would have to master the sequences before recording then do the solos and vocals. I guess I'll have to pan half of the tracks hard left and the other half hard right to get 2 tracks. Next, is buying decent reference monitors ...
Ciao,
Jerry

#315153 - 02/03/11 09:58 PM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: Jerry T]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have a SMPTE to MIDI Time Code converter that I would use to record a SMPTE stripe track on the multitrack recorder. Then when I played it back I would feed it back into the MTC converter unit that would then drive my keyboards so I could always record keyboard tracks individually. That would let you do exactly what you want to do.

The unit I used for this was made by Anatech back in the 90s but it looks like JLCooper make something similar http://www.jlcooper.com/pages/pps2.html
It goes for about $305 but it would let you record exactly like you would want and you would still be using it years from now with whatever multitrack and keyboard you are recording with at the time. I still use my SMPTE-MTC converter after 15 years so you will get good value from it.

#315307 - 02/05/11 08:42 AM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: Jerry T]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Jerry,
That unit will record 8 individual audio tracks fro any source ... and it has a computer interface that makes it even easier to use. No midi nessisary.
Check out these demos:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R16
call me if you have questions!
Dave
215-284-1328

#315365 - 02/05/11 04:49 PM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Jerry,
That unit will record 8 individual audio tracks fro any source ... and it has a computer interface that makes it even easier to use. No midi nessisary.
Check out these demos:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R16
call me if you have questions!
Dave
215-284-1328

But he wants to be able record the arranger parts on separate tracks and the only way to do that is to record one part at a time. Sure you could record them all like that without any timecode and simply slide them around to sync them up. But having a timecode to sync them would be much easier.

#315416 - 02/05/11 09:22 PM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: Nigel]
Jerry T Offline

Thank you Nigel. I wasn't aware that you could sync midi with an external device. Makes sense - it's done making videos with external syncs.
Dave, I would like to record the midi parts on separate tracks directly into the digital recorder ... It supposedly makes for a better master. The R-16 doesn't have a midi clock and Nigel's suggestion may be the answer.
Ciao,
Jerry

#315458 - 02/06/11 04:07 AM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: Jerry T]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: Jerry T
I wasn't aware that you could sync midi with an external device. Makes sense - it's done making videos with external syncs.
Jerry

And of course SMPTE is the very timecode that is used for video sync. The converter box I mentioned simply locks onto that SMPTE track and outputs MIDI timecode for MIDI devices.

#315477 - 02/06/11 09:46 AM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: Jerry T]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yes, if the arranger parts are to remain separated, you'll have to use SMPTE or something like it. The software that comes with the unit may provide a way to mix all your midi tracks internally, but I can't imagine any way to separate tracks from the arranger unless you send them to different tracks right from the beginning.
I've had success recording a simple, very sparse rhythm track from the arranger and sweetening or adding fluff on subsequent takes. Studio mixing is an art in itself. Try everything that sounds good to you - there are virtually no taboos if it sounds good!

#322639 - 04/23/11 05:18 PM Re: Recording from an arranger board to Zoom R16???? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Sweentech1 Offline

Loc: Scotland, UK.
I wonder if you connect the R16 to your PC and connect the keyboard midi to the PC, then they should sync with a DAW open. (i would hope you don't need to record to the DAW but could record to the memory card on the R16) I don't know this unit too well unfortunately, but the PC would be able to pass-thru the midi time code pulses. I'm guessing the R16 must have midi in it, even if it's not got a physical socket. It's funny though, because no-one has ever asked me about this in the store. hmmmm... vey interesting. Thanks for posting your query.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online