SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37780 - 10/17/01 12:07 PM I'm new at this
kristie-strange Offline

Loc: Mansfield, PA, USA
HI. I'm pretty new at this synth stuff. I've owned my Yamaha EX-5 for over a year, but just used it for jamming..sound fx (organs, pianos, clavs etc.) But I'm really into rave music and have been working on a song. The only recording equipment I have is a four track I borrowed from a friend (poor college student/musician). In my opinion, I think that I won't be able to record on it becuase it doesn't have enough tracks. What should I do?? What would be my best best for recording this song?

"I am Jack's complete lack of suprise."

~Fight Club~

#37781 - 10/17/01 03:17 PM Re: I'm new at this
greg66666 Offline

Loc: Bountiful, Utah, USA
Somebody replied in another of your posts to go to Harmony Central and read up on basics. That was good advice. The first lesson is to concentrate on Sequencers and MIDI because if you aren't using the EX-5's sequencer you're wasting 70% of the Yamaha's potential. If you have an EX-5 you already have more than 4 tracks for all practical purposes. It has a 16 track sequencer. Learn how to use the sequencer well. Though sequencer tracks arent' audio tracks, each sequencer track can play a different "instrument" just as if you were recording an instrument on an audio multitrack. If you fill up all the tracks on your sequencer and record it to one track of your 4 track it's just like you had recorded on a 16 track audio multitracker. Read up on the basics of sequencers and then read the EX-5 manual on the particulars of your machine. That should serve you well especially in the style of music you like.

#37782 - 10/17/01 06:47 PM Re: I'm new at this
kristie-strange Offline

Wow! Thank you! I had no idea! That makes life easier! so will it be good quality if I want to put it to CD? Also I know there is a website for Yamaha ex-5's that can help me disect what the manual says...since it is in some strange foreign language (so to speak) hehe.. I'll def check this out!!!

~Fight Club~

#37783 - 10/19/01 08:42 AM Re: I'm new at this
kristie-strange Offline

where can i get a hold of some basic sequencer info that doesn't read in "greek"? Something like a beginners book...

~Fight Club~

#37784 - 10/19/01 11:29 AM Re: I'm new at this
greg66666 Offline

Loc: Bountiful, Utah, USA
There are lots of newbie tutorials in the computer music magazines. Some of their earlier articles from years past are even posted free of charge on their sites. www.computermusic.co.uk; www.keyboardonline.com; www.futuremusic.co.uk; www.musicplayer.com; www.sospubs.co.uk and many other sites.
Check out articles by Jim Aikin or Craig Anderton especially. They are clear, thorough and simple. There are a couple of EX5 sites, I don't know them right away.

Yes, it's possible to go direct from the EX5 to a CD-burner though I don't know the exact model names of CD-burners that will accept the analog audio outs of the EX5, but there are some out there. You will have to check that out.

#37785 - 10/24/01 03:11 PM Re: I'm new at this
Russ Offline

Loc: Clearwater Florida
Any questions that you would have about Your Ex5 can be answered at: http://www.ex5tech.com

The Best help you can get on the Internet

------------------
PYCLAH

www.mp3.com/RuslanY
www.VictoryMusicOnline.com

www.mp3.com/RuslanY
www.VictoryMusicOnline.com

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online