SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#34770 - 03/15/10 09:09 AM Switching from SD1 to AUDYA - Concerns?
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada
> Hey all! I'm sure some people in this group have graduated from an SD1 to an Audya. I'm planning on doing so this year but I'm a little leery because I HATE the learning curve. I don't suspect a huge difficulty like I did 8 years ago when switching from a Korg I2 to the SD1...it took many, many hours of re-adjusting files to work properly...copying over old styles I was used to, etc. Nightmare! Took me a year of owning it before I felt comfortable enough to switch over completely in my live gigs.
>
> Anyhoo...I was just wondering if anyone can point out any major areas of differences I can expect. Particularly involving midi files. I use them most.
>
> For example..is the transposition the same as SD1? They have a very strange system in that if you globally change a song key, the vocalizer track changes with it, but if you do it by the song transposition, then you have to individually lower or raise the vocalizer track to match or it "sings" off key. Also you cannot change the keyboard transposition within the midi file and then use the live on-the-fly vocalizer...for example...the "duet up" choice where it plays the third above your voice combined with the piano chord you play.
>
> Is this the same or did they change the new one so that it automatically follows no matter what way you're doing the transposition? If so, I'd have to go in and change individual midi files that have specific tracks adjusted -5 or what have you if I adjusted it with song. The more I think about it...I think it happens only when you've already changed the key, saved the song...and then change the key as you start to "song -5" or what have you. I am unsure about this....but this is just one example of what I found confusing and might be a new learning curve.
>
> Another example is is the drum setup the same in the respect that when I hit a button for "manual drums" an I hope they have the same easy key....will the cymbal...toms..etc..be in the same notes as the SD1?
>
> I'll try to think of more issues...if anyone can think of anything you have dealt with that you want to give me the heads up on, that'd be great.
>
> Kendall
>

#34771 - 03/15/10 10:41 AM Re: Switching from SD1 to AUDYA - Concerns?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I answered you on Yahoo, but here's what I said:
Well, I don't use many midi files, but the ones I do use seem to work exactly as they did on the older Ketrons.
They have eliminated the manual drum button, but there is Drum Kit button that lets you select any of the kits to play manually from the keyboard. When you press the button the manual drums come on and the current kit is selected. You can then select any of the kits to play live if you want to change.
I can be of more help if you have questions about styles or registrations.
You will find the operating system a PLEASURE to use in comparison to the older one.
You will have no trouble adjusting. I spent a couple of weeks with mine before taking it to work, but could have done it sooner.

DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 03-16-2010).]

#34772 - 03/15/10 12:01 PM Re: Switching from SD1 to AUDYA - Concerns?
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh great. Thank you!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online