SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#29693 - 09/01/06 02:33 AM X1 and Cakewalk problem
calypso22 Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Hi everybody.

I've been away for what must be years.

I've retired now so I will (hopefully) have more time for my music.

Nice to be back.

I spent most of yesterday and this morning setting up my X1 and my PC. I am using Cakewalk 9, which I find does all I really need.

Question for the gurus .

I have tried everything (on the X1 and in Cakewalk) to get any songs I record into MIDI on Cakewalk, to include Patch changes and other Control data.

All I get when I view events for each channel,is Notes.

This means that when I playback the midifile through the X1, it uses the wrong instruments since there is no information avaible to let it know what instrument to use.

Grateful for any pointers.

Many thanks,

John

[This message has been edited by calypso22 (edited 09-01-2006).]

#29694 - 09/01/06 04:41 AM Re: X1 and Cakewalk problem
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey!
I have SD1...but I think it's almost the same.
Well, if you made any changes in X1, like patches ,effect...so on, directly in your GM editor, then you'll have some sysex messages in the head of the midifile that gives all the information about patches,effects,volumes...
If you import that midifile in Cakewalk, you cant change anything because the sysex "block" any other sendings from cakewalk to X1.But, like I'm doing, I erase all sysex from the midifile, put a new reset sysex and start everything from scrap.I ment put the pacthes,volume,pan..efects in each track in Cakewalk.Export than to X1, should be ok.
Remember if you make any changings in X1...will be the same situation.So...make everything in Cakewalk...listen again and again and if you feel like tunning something, writing on a paper and use Cakewalk again.

#29695 - 09/01/06 05:29 AM Re: X1 and Cakewalk problem
calypso22 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by viocaia:
then you'll have some sysex messages in the head of the midifile that gives all the information about patches,effects,volumes

Many thanks,
But that is exactly my problem. I do not have the sysex data coming into Cakewalk. Only Notes.

#29696 - 09/01/06 02:48 PM Re: X1 and Cakewalk problem
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey!
So...you're recording in Cakewalk!Now I got it..
Maybe you have a filter problem..in the midi menu on the keyboard there are filters for enable-disable, receive or transmit diferent midi signals like notes,patches,CC control number,volumes...etc.Maybe you need to open some of them for TX means transmiting.Also check Cakewalk midi configuration, there are filters there as well.
I'm using a very old version of Cakewalk...v.3.1 and I'm receiving any CC or PC,also modulation and wheel or sustain...but no sysex...I don't need it anyway.
Hope it helps,
Vio

#29697 - 09/01/06 11:10 PM Re: X1 and Cakewalk problem
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:

I did not see if any use the "Instrument Definitions" on the cake, I am also a CAke/Sonar user and I had no problems when I had my Ketrons, the X1 HD and 2 SD1s.
Are you editing a existing midi file and or are you making a midi file with your Ketron using styles/patterns??? I hope I can help you guys...but, just in case, I would download the Instrument definitions/template, and insert them into the folder where the Cake is install (usually in the program files in your "C" drive PC).

#29698 - 09/02/06 01:47 AM Re: X1 and Cakewalk problem
calypso22 Offline

Thanks guys.

Yes all filters on the X1 and Cakewalk are set up to allow all data to be transferred, but I am still only getting Notes. No other MIDI information is geting through to Cakewalk.

When I view the Events list in Cakewalk for each track I record, I only see Notes information. No patches, effects, etc.

#29699 - 09/02/06 06:11 AM Re: X1 and Cakewalk problem
calypso22 Offline

Now that's strange.

I tried using the X1's built-in sequencer, and saved the MIDI file to a diskette.

This file contains all the sysex information as it should.

So it is only when conecting to the PC in the classic way with MIDI cables that the transmitted info is limited to Notes only with no ather data (patches etc.) getting through.

Go figure.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online