SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#31903 - 05/13/03 02:08 PM Recording patterns through MIDI on SD1
dimu Offline

Finally I was able to create a tabla drum kit using a set of sound files. Now I am trying to create a pattern using the new drum kit. Since it is too hard to do it real time, I am using a computer sequencer.

I tried to record a pattern using pattern edit and then selecting "midi record". When I press "record" and then "start", the computer sequencer starts playing the sequence. Also I can hear the sounds coming from SD1. But after the number of pre-selected bars has been completed, "record" is switched to "play" automatically. But if I press start again, there is no sound other than the metronome. According to the manual the recorded pattern should play back. So even though the midi data were received on the midi input, they were not recorded. Does anybody know what the problem is? I was following the owner's manual instructions to the letter. Any help will be appreciated.

-Dimu

#31904 - 05/18/03 08:43 AM Re: Recording patterns through MIDI on SD1
nick_h Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I had a similar problem on the Vega using MIDI record. After you have made sure on the VEGA to use the MIDI In 2 port for the midi data coming in, in the Pattern Record page of the Vega if the cursor was on the drum kit, it would not read the bass and chords. Try putting your cursor on the last chord of the pattern record page and see if you have any better luck.

#31905 - 05/19/03 11:14 AM Re: Recording patterns through MIDI on SD1
dimu Offline

I used the tool midi-ox with the midiyoke dirver and found out the the problem is with my software sequencer. In the recording mode it skips the first note irrespective of the tempo set. When SD1 sends "start" message, the sequenceer sends a bunch of sysex messages, and as soon as SD1 sends the first "clock" message, the sequencer sends the second note. The sequencer should have prepared to send notes as soon as it received "start", instead it is preparing after receiving the first "clock" message. So it has no time to send the first note synchronized with the clock signal already received.

-Dimu

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online