SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17110 - 08/31/00 01:11 AM Is N364 a good choice for me ?
Oriens Offline

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Hi all !

Im thinking about buying a KORG N364 and I wonder if its a good synth for me ?(this will be my first synth)
It would be very nice if someone could tell me a bit more about this synth in a language that I can understand...not like"it has 120 samplers and 34 ghz soundwaves"

Thanx from Daniel

#17111 - 08/31/00 10:04 AM Re: Is N364 a good choice for me ?
Lee Offline

If you want to create songs or parts without a computer and play them back in a "live" situation, the N364 is a fairly capable workstation, complete with disk drive, sequencer & arpeggiator.

If you want to program your own sounds, the AI2 synth engine is easy enough to control. Also, there are many soundbanks available in webland to augment the factory presets.

Are 61 keys sufficient for your playing style? Remember, its cousin the N264 has 76 keys.

How much or little do you want to spend?
Are you buying new or used?

If you don't need the workstation features, then perhaps the N5EX would be a better choice. It has the same synth engine, but with much more sound ROM and much better real-time control features and it costs less. I think it comes bundled with some MOTU sequencer and librarian software, as well as a sound editor.

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 08-31-2000).]

#17112 - 09/04/00 09:44 PM Re: Is N364 a good choice for me ?
cre8or Offline

Loc: Elgin, Il, Us
It all depends on what you want to do with it. The N364 is great for pads, and lots of acoustinc instruments. But once you want to start to create some really cool synth sounds, you are limited to a certain set number of samples. The N364 is basically built to be good for a little bit of everything. For example, if you are really looking at geting in deep into electronica, I wouldn't suggest it... but if you like new age, It'd be great.
I personally have been able to create some really cool synth stuff with it, but I see it's limits and am sometimes frustrated by them.
I kind of all boils down to what type of music you want to make with it.

#17113 - 09/16/00 02:50 PM Re: Is N364 a good choice for me ?
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
I'd concur with cre8or, but should also point out that the N2/364 have a mere 8mb of sound memory, whereas the N5 has 16mb, I believe. And it jumps to 32 and 48 for the Trinity and Triton. That makes a real difference in your ability to customize things from more areas of musical interest. If you're really going to dive in, I'd say the N5 has an edge because of its extra controller knobs, which are really helpful, especially if you're new to it and feeling your way around the programming aspects. However, it has no disk drive, so you might want to to reconsider the N2/364 or an 01/Wfd. That storage capability makes all the difference.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online