SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18461 - 08/03/99 04:49 PM Problem with midi setup (via PC)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I own a PC with Guillemot Maxi Sound 64 Home Studio sound card, a Yamaha AN1X and a Korg i5S. I have problems when I record on my PC (in MIDI).If I configure a sound on the AN1X, I always hear the equivalent sound on the Korg i5S. What should I do to avoid that ?

#18462 - 08/03/99 10:12 PM Re: Problem with midi setup (via PC)
Cinda Private Offline

There are any number of ways that you can handle this... each MIDI device can be assigned a DEVICE number... once this is done, you can direct a track to send information to that specific device.

Or you can turn off certain channels. In my setup, channels 1-5 are reserved for my Korg Gear, 6-10 are reserved for my Yamaha gear and 11-16 are reserved for my Roland gear.

I turn RX MIDI off for the channels that are not used. I also make sure that these TX/RX channels match my MIDI channel for simplicity.

Hope this helps.

#18463 - 08/03/99 10:46 PM Re: Problem with midi setup (via PC)
WS Offline

On my Wavestation I go to MIDI>Transmit>Local Control>Disable
This will make your PC the master controller and you won't hear everything at once. Check your manual for something similiar for the i5s. If you are "daisy chaining" synths together, you will want to get midi interface that has as many ins and outs as you have synths. Then you can use all midi channels on all instruments and not just 4 at a time... you will want a 2x2. If you think you will get more equipment than plan ahead, check out www.opcode.com. They have a 2x2 that is expandable to an 8x8.

[This message has been edited by WS (edited 08-05-1999).]

#18464 - 08/03/99 11:42 PM Re: Problem with midi setup (via PC)
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Use the i5s in SONG mode. This mode sets it up to receive on all 16 MIDI channels.

WS's comment about the 2x2 interface is the best solution. The Opcode MIDI Translator PC plugs into the parallel (printer) port. Opcode also sells a USB interface, which may be the easiest way to go, if you have a Win98 PC.

Cinda's comment about the device numbers doesn't make sense. The device numbers are only there to allow you to send a sysex dump to several of the same type of keyboards, and have the message received by only one.

The AN1X should be easy to work with in a MIDI setup, since it only has 2 voices it can play with at once.

Steve Martin
Ward Music Ltd.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online