SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18227 - 09/21/04 06:35 PM Dead T3
dutch1 Offline

Loc: Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
Hello, I don't know if anybody can help but here is my situation. I have a T3 since 1990) and it has worked flawlessly untill this year. I took it apart to repair a broken programming button and now when I start it up its locked up on the first screen. It has been in a Korg service center for two months and they don't have a clue. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
D. E.

#18228 - 10/11/04 10:19 PM Re: Dead T3
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Dutch:

I think your problem is explained in your third sentence. Quote: I took it apart to repair a broken programming button
Unless your an electronics technician by trade, why mess around with the insides.
I own a T3, I love it, it's my workhorse, and absolutely great unit. I had to take it in for repairs. The middle Db key was stuck and the combination button broke and fell inside "yikes!!" It's been in the shop for 2 months now only because they have to get the part from Japan. Personally, I like to leave repairs up to the professionals, that way, if something isn't done right...they're oblidged to make it right.
Just my thots.....and Good Luck.
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom
btw: you stated that it locks up on the first screen. By default, when you fire up the T3, it opens Combi 00. Are you not able to scroll from there?
------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 10-12-2004).]

#18229 - 10/12/04 06:48 PM Re: Dead T3
dutch1 Offline

Thanks for reply shboom. Actually I am an electronics technician and I work in an electronics test lab (DOD). The conditions under which I worked on my T3 were: temp 72 deg F. relative humidity 68% and my workstation was grounded (grounded static dissipative mats and wrist grounding strap). The repair I made was really quite easy but it necessitated disassembling the entire unit. When the T3 is turned on, a screen comes up that says; "KORG T3" and I think there is a bluish background. This is the first screen and nothing happens beyond this point. Granted, if I had taken it to the service center for the repair I would maybe be better off. I needed the T3 for some sequencing and I needed to do some programming. The key I repaired was vital for programming and I needed it right away. Anyway, I do this kind of work for a living but only on test equipment. Korg wouldn't give me any assistance except to recommend a service center. I have since discovered I can get the service manual but this may or may not be of any use. Also I have found out that Korg isn't giving much support to the techs working on my unit (this is the part that really bothers me). As of this date no progress has been made. You are right; the T3 IS a workhorse and has been my main keyboard since 1990. I was hoping someone may have had a similar problem and found a solution (repair). I do appreciate your response.

Thanks again,
D.E.

#18230 - 10/12/04 10:28 PM Re: Dead T3
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Dutch:
Sorry...I didn't realize you were a tech by trade.
Do you have the initiating disk or any disk for that matter which has some pre-stored data on it? I'm sure you must.
I had the battery replaced once, and all parameters were gone. I loaded up a disk that I'd saved some sequenced material on and she sprang back to life. Other than my current key and button issues, I haven't had a problem since.
She's my baby....and I'm keepin' her.
Good Luck.

------------------
...L

#18231 - 10/13/04 12:15 AM Re: Dead T3
dutch1 Offline

Thanks again for reply shboom. No apolagy necessary. I gave no indication in my first post that I'm a tech but it stands to reason that people would wonder why I tried to fix it myself. Yes I have the disks, but I can't even get to the memory locations. The techs working on her have isolated the different boards and the result never changes. Oh well, I'll just have to wait a while. Anyway, thanks again. I'll be checking out your site. I downloaded a demo, sounds good.

Later,
D.E.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online