SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#18116 - 11/10/01 06:03 PM ES-1 vs. Yamaha SU200 vs. a bus
splatastic Offline

Hello all,

First time poster, long time listener.
OK, so I picked up a Yamaha SU200 from Gwitar Center a week ago, and suffice to say I'm slightly less than impressed. Two depressions: the 'scratch' ribbon is more useless than I had hoped, and 2) when you try to time stretch a looping sample in real time, it distorts (mentioned in the manual as a 'feature').
So, I started looking into the Korg ES-1. Now, I don't care at all about the sequencing on it, cause 1. I have a computer rig, 2) gonna use it live mostly.
That said, how does the ES-1 sampling and effects compare to the Yamaha SU200? Any better? Do you get annoying pops and clicks when you try to do certian effects on the ES-1? How does the MIDI work on the ES-1? Could you use it like a sound/tone module too? The buttons look kinda small, any problems triggering live?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

#18117 - 11/24/01 06:44 AM Re: ES-1 vs. Yamaha SU200 vs. a bus
splatastic Offline

Well, I returned the Yamaha SU200, and got a BOSS SP-303 (Dr. Sample) unit. I tried both the Korg ES-1 and the SP-303 in the store, and the BOSS was much better than the ES-1. The SP-303 was easier to use, had larger buttons, more effects, better sounding, and a higher sampling rate. And it was like $200 cheaper too! All the ES-1 was good at was putting on a light show.

Later,
Bill

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online