SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17815 - 08/31/00 01:13 AM DW-8000 problems
DJTomek Offline

Loc: Sopron, Hungary
Hi, DW8000 owners!

I have a little problem with my DW8000. When i increase the RESONANCE - at any filter-frequency - the volume decreases.

Another problem: the ORGAN waveform is a little bit noisy...

Is it normal?

#17816 - 09/02/00 02:58 PM Re: DW-8000 problems
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
How much does the volume decrease? I have a Poly-800 whose filter is probably similar and yes, the volume decreases some depending on the relative pitch of the note you're playing and the cutoff frequency. At least some volume decrease is normal. Think about it: incresing the resonance increases the emphasis on the frequency to which the filter is tuned. If you're playing mostly bass sounds and the filter is tuned a couple of octaves above that, increasing resonance will emphasize the overtones, which are naturally progressively softer the higher they are.

You could try switching the filter tracking to half or off (I think the DW offers you that as a program parameter).

Probably the organ patch uses sound sources that are inherently noisy (It's got eight wave patterns stored in ROM, right?DOes the DW have separate noise generation like the Poly-800? Then that would be another thing to tweak in the program.mn

#17817 - 09/07/00 12:52 AM Re: DW-8000 problems
DJTomek Offline

Loc: Sopron, Hungary
Hi, Mike!

Thanx for help! (Excuse me - bad english.)
The volume decreases not too much... i can't create extremly hard synth basses! It needs high resonance. But the DRONES are very good and FAT!
The DW has 16 waves stored in ROM, and yes, it has a separated pink noise generator.
Does the Poly800 have a digital delay, like the DW?

#17818 - 09/07/00 04:17 PM Re: DW-8000 problems
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
The MarkII (black case) has a DDL which adds 5 parameters over the MarkI (grey case and faux LED graphics) wwhich just has chorus.

The Poly 800s work on summation of square waves (four octaves to switch in and out)instead of stored waveforms. It's surprising how many different sounds you can get that way. The Mark II's delay line is veery versatile and helps overcome the limits of 4-note polyphony (8 if you turn one source off). Neat 80s machine but would be fun to have a DW too.

Glad to be of help.mn

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online