SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14606 - 07/31/01 06:40 AM Flashing styles
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Is it possible to "flash" user styles into the WK8? When I load a user style, it goes into one of the first 8 slots in a user style group. There are 8 more slots available for flash styles. Is there a way to access those beside an OS update? Perhaps some utility. Maybe I'm missing something.

#14607 - 07/31/01 07:05 AM Re: Flashing styles
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
It will be a very good idea if GEM will give us a final OS update that will add 8 more good styles to the Keyboard. It will be nice to have a utility for us to do so.

Well, may Chris Anthony has the answer for us.

#14608 - 08/10/01 04:04 PM Re: Flashing styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

The flash style locations are reserved for different world markets where a distributor requires specific style to be blown into the o.s which would not necessarily be of interest outside their own market.

We have a tool to construct an o.s with flash styles and performances specific to a distributor's needs but it is not available to the public.

Chris

#14609 - 08/13/01 07:59 AM Re: Flashing styles
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Thanks for the info Chris. Maybe someday that tool will be available on an OS update.

#14610 - 08/13/01 11:22 AM Re: Flashing styles
sk880user Offline

ChrisAtGM,,

I have a request that will strongly assist me:

1) Can you email me the style lists of the different world markets? I would strongly want all of those.

2) Can you email me that burning tool? I have 16 empty flash slots and it will be nice something there in them.

Thanks

#14611 - 08/13/01 06:09 PM Re: Flashing styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have prepared lists of the different content on a per-market basis. This content is the result of consultation between specific distributors and the lab and the content itself remains the property of the individual distributors since, in most cases, they have paid local programmers to provide it exclusively for them.

Regarding the flashing tool that we use to make the o.s versions, as I mentioned before, this is not available as a public utility for very specific reasons. It is a tool designed for lab use only and works in conjunction with our other devlopment tools.

Please understand, I'm not just being mean when I say it's not available. The flash management in the SK and WK is a fairly complex business and this is not a windows-type, point a click piece of software we're talking about; because the designers never considered it for use by anyone except those working with the software designers. Without the correct training, you could easily render your keyboard completely inoperative; unable to ever re-load the o.s without lengthy consultation. It would be like tampering with the files on your Windows installation disks before re-installing Windows, (just imagine!)

Chris

#14612 - 08/14/01 07:43 AM Re: Flashing styles
sk880user Offline

Chris,

I understand about the flash. Thank you for your answer. I find these extra styles in flash to be of extra ultra quality. That is the reason I was very interested in getting Itallian styles, french styles and various Europeans and southern american styles. It would be more than wonderful to get these. If you happen to get some of these, would you please email me them?

Thanks

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online