SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14725 - 02/05/04 12:29 PM WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Loc: san diego, CA, USA
all,
I need help figuring out how to repair the Tempo/Data dial wheel. More often when dialing,
the Tempo/Data does not change.
In Addition, the Octave -/+ key works only on one direction (toward the - octave).
Also, when I use the ensemble patch, whether pressing a key note or not, the sounds of one note persists.

Thanks for any helps

Tony

#14726 - 02/05/04 03:13 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
WDM Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hi Tony,

First try re-initializing the unit. Remember that this procedure will erase everything in RAM so be sure to save any data that you want to keep before attempting.
To re-initialize, turn the instrument off and then while rotating the TEMPO/DATA dial slowly to the right power on the instrument. Continue rotating the dial until the display reads "WARNING-Dial on Power-up requests MEMORY CLEAR". Press ENTER to re-initialize the instrument.

If this does not solve the problem, you more than likely have a hardware problem. To test the buttons and dial:
Press the General button in the Edit section, press soft button F2 followed by soft button F8 and then press ENTER. This is a special hidden screen of built-in hardware tests. In this screen you will see Panel Test at the upper right of the display. Press soft button A to access this test. Press each button on the front panel and note whether the corresponding button simulation in the display reacts. Rotating the dial should show in the upper right box 'Code: 0XOFF' when rotated left and '0X001' when rotated to the right. You can also test any pedals that are plugged into the system if you like.

If any buttons do not respond, you know that it is a hardware issue and needs to be serviced. If you need help finding an authorized service center, please let me know.

Good luck,

Dave

#14727 - 02/05/04 05:31 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Dave,

Thank you. I'll try these steps tonite.

Tony

#14728 - 02/05/04 05:38 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Dave,
I forgot to ask whether or not it is easy to
remove the top cover, of the keyboard, in order to clean up the inside a litle.

Tony

#14729 - 02/05/04 05:55 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
WDM Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hi Tony,

Opening the unit is not all that difficult. The problem is once it is open you will have to remove the button panel circuit board which isn't a lot of fun. What's more, I don't believe there is much you can do to clean up switches if they are malfunctioning nor is there a way to clean the potentiometer of the tempo/data dial.

If you find that re-initializing doesn't solve the problem, it is probably going to require a trip to the doctor.

Best Regards,

Dave

[This message has been edited by WDM (edited 02-05-2004).]

#14730 - 02/05/04 06:42 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I have sk880 keyboard and it is now displaying this symptom unless you change it very slowly. As long as it move, it is ok with me.

#14731 - 02/06/04 03:09 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
JoostMerema Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Most of the time, the dial has to be replaced. GEM uses dail's that ... well... wear out after some time.

For the buttons, you can check the buttons when you've replaced them by doing the following:

1)Push the GENERAL button on the right
2)Select System Info by pushing F2
3)Push the F8 button, you will now enter Hardware test modus.
4)Press enter

Now, you can check all the things that you want. In this case, Select Panel test.

Press Enter and Escape at the same time to exit the test modus.

Use this on your own responsibility, as with opening the keyboard. Good Luck.

#14732 - 02/06/04 10:48 AM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

Okay,

I trouble-shooted the control panels. It seemes that the only malfunction button is the
"octave -/+".
Thank you for all your help.

Tony

#14733 - 02/06/04 02:15 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Tony,

It is possible to replace individual micro switches on the button panel circuit board. As I mentioned earlier (as username WDM) while opening up the WK8 isn't very difficult, removing the circuit board from behind the front panel isn't all that easy. There are a lot of small parts that are held in by the circuit board that can easily fall out and become lost if one is not careful.
I would suggest contacting Generalmusic at (630) 766-8230 to find out the best route to take in getting your instrument repaired.

Dave

#14734 - 02/06/04 04:30 PM Re: WK8 Tempo/Data dial Hardware problem
tazar Offline

thanks again Dave. I 'll just hang in there untill we buy (church) the korg pa1zPro soon.

Tony

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online