SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15996 - 03/24/02 09:35 AM this one is to ChrisGM
sisi002 Offline

Hi, my question is: why doesn't Gem put better quality and more Arabic sounds on their Arrangers? Today there are a lot's of Gem users in Europe who make arabic/oriental music on their Gem. The Gem Wk8se is very popular here only because of its sample capabilities and good drums. There are a few men in Germany who sell very *HIGH* quality samples for arabic/turkish music. They ask a lot's of money for the sounds wich are made by themselves. I think if GEM puts some of these kind of sample's in the next succesor of the GEM wk8, than it would become a great hit in the arabian/turkish musicmakers community. You can listen at some of the best arabic/turkish samples at:
http://www.dogus2000.de/Samples/Telli_Calgilar/Nefesli_Calgilar/nefesli_calgilar.html

(especially the "Zurna" sounds are so important for us becuase it is our traditional instrument.)

I hope you have an idea now of how the oriental sounds should be on a keyboard. I got the most of these samples. The total memory space needed for these samples are approx. 24 MB. If you need something please let me know. I would like to help to make the next GEM Arranger contain the best oriental sounds!

Greetz
Sisi002

#15997 - 03/25/02 09:35 AM Re: this one is to ChrisGM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Customizing sounds for different markets has always been a big issue. With the WK8, the majority of the sounds were in a ROM which could not be overwritten. The only area for placement of market-specific sounds was in the D-RAM, (which is where the sounds of the WK8 Arabic Kit are loaded). This limits the quantity and range of additional sounds which can be installed.

The new Genesys will completely resolve this problem since there is no ROM at all. Everything is stored in 64Mbytes of Flash and can be completely overwritten, (by an authorized programmer) from a CD. This was particularly exciting to Generalmusic's Arabic distributors at the recent Frankfurt fair since it means that they have absolute freedom to customize the sound library in whichever way they wish. The first Arabic versions of Genesys should start to appear around 6 months from now.

Chris

#15998 - 03/25/02 09:37 AM Re: this one is to ChrisGM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point SK. It is strange to assume that, in a real situation, half the musicians in a band would play with western scale while others would use arabic scale.

However this concern has already been raised by a few distributors and is under discussion in the lab. We will see.

Chris

#15999 - 03/25/02 11:31 AM Re: this one is to ChrisGM
katron Offline

Loc: S. Surrey, B.C. Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisAtGM:
Good point SK. It is strange to assume that, in a real situation, half the musicians in a band would play with western scale while others would use arabic scale.

However this concern has already been raised by a few distributors and is under discussion in the lab. We will see.

Hi Chris: Does this mean you're back from England? I looked on the generalmusic site for your .pdf as discussed. Couln't find it... re Microscope Editing. Maybe we can post it on Phil's Pages for all to see.
DON'T YOU THINK IT WOULD BE WISE TO HAVE ONLY HAVE ONE PLACE TO FORUM? That way we're not having to go back and forth between sites.
I've taken the liberty of advising your current liason.

Kathleen (katron)

Chris

------------------

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online