SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15014 - 10/27/01 04:43 PM wk2 module and recording songs
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
I recently purchased the wk2 arranger module to use for recording song arrangements (light jazz) I could use when playing in public. My goal was to pre-record songs and play against them with my piano - not triggering the wk2 during live public performance - only during recording arrangements at home. HELP - did I buy the wrong thing or what should I have gotten - just can't see any way to use this for bringing my arrangements up quickly during a performance.

Mike H

#15015 - 10/28/01 01:32 PM Re: wk2 module and recording songs
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Mike,
I think you might be the gentleman I spoke with on the phone at my store about a month ago. Are you?
If I'm reading your post right of course you can record song styles, save them to disk or hard disk (if you purchased the hard drive model) and call them up instantly and play them from the disk without having to load them. All you have to do is save them as SMF and not as ALL files. Are you thinking this can't be done? I don't understand your thinking you bought the wrong thing! Have you called the dealer you bought it from and asked them if you can do what you want to do?
Good Luck!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#15016 - 10/28/01 03:14 PM Re: wk2 module and recording songs
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Hi George - Yes I spoke with you re: the WK2 and the Yamaha MSP10 stuff - ended up getting the WK2 from another place because I had a big credit there. As I read the manual for the module - the only way to save song styles is using the ALL save - and can't play them direct from disc - they don't mention being able to save it as a MIDI file. Please correct me if I am wrong. I did call the store I purchased it from and read to them a sentence from the wk2 manual - "you cannot use the sequencer to record songs" which is the main thing I wanted to be able to do - so I could play against them during live performance - not by triggering the accompaniment features in live situations. The closest they come to song recording capabilities is a "song style" which is pretty limited and as I said above -only accessible if stored on the drive as an ALL save. Based on your general appreciation of the wk2 sounds and usability I did purchase it and I am very happy with the sound and range of possiblilities it offers for part canned - part live arrangements.

regards
Mike up North

[This message has been edited by Mike H (edited 10-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mike H (edited 10-28-2001).]

#15017 - 10/28/01 03:58 PM Re: wk2 module and recording songs
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Mike,
I am at home today so I don't have the WK2 to look at, but I really thought I could save single songs I record on upper track 1, upper track 2, Lower and the accomp. track as a Standard Midi File. I know I can do this on the WK6 and WK8 because I do it all the time. If I'm wrong, you would have to record the song out on a computer, save it onto a floppy disk as a smf file and then you could play it direct from disk. Now that I'm thinking about this, I remember the specs as being able to record songs on basically 4 tracks (upper 1,2 Lower and accomp) and playback 16 tracks from midi files. I'll varify this Monday at the store.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online