SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16280 - 11/16/08 01:28 PM Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
I would like to know if I can get or how to create a Gem WK4 OS disk. As My wk4 has desided to go wrong, all i get is the gem logo when the keyboard turns on. Any ideas..

#16281 - 11/19/08 12:05 PM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Click HERE to download the most recent operating system for the WK4.

Click HERE to download the utility to allow you to create a new O/S disk from the file downloaded from Generalmusic.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#16282 - 11/19/08 02:24 PM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Dave , it's good to see you keep an eye on this forum .
i hope things are going well for you .
I'm ever greatful for the help and interest you showed when i had problems or just seeking advice on the Gem XP module .

Giovanni

#16283 - 11/20/08 07:21 PM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Giovanni,

Yes, I still pass through here occasionally to see what's going on.

I do miss having a steady day job but I'm trying to keep busy gigging at night and that's doing OK.

I hope things are well with you also. Thanks for saying hello.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#16284 - 11/23/08 01:31 PM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Dave and Giovanni,

I've missed seeing you guys around here!!

Dave, glad the gigging is doing good.

Giovanni, keep in touch.

Giovanni, guess you are still using the Concerto DA accordion. Wonder what board or module you're using. I'm using a Korg PA2X PRO but currently I'm having some issues with it. LEDs not working. I think Korg will take care of it for me.

Regards,
Don P

[This message has been edited by donpatt (edited 11-23-2008).]

#16285 - 11/23/08 02:08 PM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
MusicalMemories Offline

Ive tried both these but the wk4 is still not reading the disks. I got told by generalmusic that the gem os disks were made in a special format to protect the disks. I did try the util and os i found the os disk which i got with the keyboard its dated oct 1997 but the disk is corupted.

#16286 - 11/24/08 05:28 AM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MusicalMemories:
Ive tried both these but the wk4 is still not reading the disks. I got told by generalmusic that the gem os disks were made in a special format to protect the disks. I did try the util and os i found the os disk which i got with the keyboard its dated oct 1997 but the disk is corupted.

The problem may be the disk drive itself. Try to find a 3.5" head cleaner disk with cleaning solution (non-abrasive) and see if that helps.

The utility program that creates usable O/S disks for the WK series does work; I've used it. And I know the O/S that is available on the GEM website is fine as well. What version of Windows are you running? I have had some problems in the past when using WinXP to create/edit floppies for my WK8SE.

Good luck,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#16287 - 11/24/08 05:34 AM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
MusicalMemories Offline

I use windows xp pro, do you know anything about the backlight failing on a wk4 lcd

#16288 - 11/24/08 09:46 AM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MusicalMemories:
I use windows xp pro, do you know anything about the backlight failing on a wk4 lcd

It sounds like it's time to contact Generalmusic to locate a repair facility in you area.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#16289 - 12/04/08 02:43 PM Re: Re: Gem WK4 OS Disks
JDBLACKHAWK123 Offline

Just jumping in, hope it's OK-have an SK76 and an S3T-I agree with Dave-I have created many disks for both, including OS disks, and running a DOS window in XP for creating these doesn't seem to work-not sure why-but does work on an older laptop with Windows 98. there is probably a way to set up XP to run a DOS program to make the DOS programs work, but it's just as easy to use an older machine to do this-I have problems with both teledisk and imagepro in windows XP-both DOS programs to create GEM disks. Both work in windows 09. Hope this helps.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online