SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15713 - 07/15/06 05:32 AM PEDALS, PEDALS, PEDALS
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Group and Dave,

There may be a solution to the PEDAL DEBACLE!

Would it be possible to convert the ketron FS6 pedal unit to work with the XP?

Since I'm not electronically gifted I don't know how the pedals work exactly. Do they send midi messages / commands, or WHAT? I do know that the KETRON pedals do roughly the same functions as the GEM pedals (start/stop, up/dwn, harmony on/off, etc).

The GEM pedals use a single 1/4" jack. And theoretically 3 of these units can be hooked up to the Genesys (there are 3 jacks for that purpose). I don't know KETRON'S configuration.

If you don't know the answer, maybe you know someone who does!

Thanks Everyone,
Don

#15714 - 07/15/06 07:52 AM Re: PEDALS, PEDALS, PEDALS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by donpatt:
Hi Group and Dave,

There may be a solution to the PEDAL DEBACLE!

Would it be possible to convert the ketron FS6 pedal unit to work with the XP?......

Don

Hi Don,

You sent an e-mail to me at 8:52am this morning (Saturday) on this subject which I read at 8:53am and then immediately sent an e-mail off to Italy to get information about this. As soon as I know something, I will be in touch.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15715 - 07/15/06 08:45 AM Re: PEDALS, PEDALS, PEDALS
donpatt Offline

Thanks Dave,

Here is a message I received from Jay Salam at Ketron US. So obviously this wont work!

Don,
Thanks for the email.
The Ketron pedal uses a 15 pin computer type connection. It appears that the pedals are not cross compatible.
Without having an address or source to give you I suggest you search for Proel. This is an Italian company that makes such devices for many companies. Perhaps if you are lucky you can see if they have one. I do know that they are represented in the US.
Jay Salam

So Dave, and others, I will see if I can find this Proel Company. Maybe you're familliar with this.

Regards,
Don

[This message has been edited by donpatt (edited 07-15-2006).]

#15716 - 07/15/06 11:46 AM Re: PEDALS, PEDALS, PEDALS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks Dave,

Here is a message I received from Jay Salam at Ketron US. So obviously this wont work!

Don,
Thanks for the email.
The Ketron pedal uses a 15 pin computer type connection. It appears that the pedals are not cross compatible.

Hi Don,

Maybe I misread what you put in the e-mail that you sent to me this morning, but I thought for sure you said that both pedals used ¼” jacks. From your e-mail:
”These pedals do roughly the same functions for the KETRON that the GEM pedals do (start/stop, up/dwn, harmony on/off ETC) I know both have a single 1/4" jack.

This is why I contacted Italy. If I had known that the Ketron did not have a ¼” jack I would have stopped the idea right there.

I am fairly certain that this pedal is manufactured to the specs required by the Genesys so finding another company that offers a compatible device is not likely.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15717 - 07/15/06 12:37 PM Re: PEDALS, PEDALS, PEDALS
donpatt Offline

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the misinformation, I revised the message several times to post on different sites, and I got your's wrong!

HOWEVER, I'm hot on the trail of another.

Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller

Here is where you can take a look if your interested.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-FCB1010--m-04_68_328.html

The manual is also online, I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Don

#15718 - 07/15/06 01:05 PM Re: PEDALS, PEDALS, PEDALS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Sorry for the misinformation, I revised the message several times to post on different sites, and I got your's wrong!

HOWEVER, I'm hot on the trail of another.

Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller

Here is where you can take a look if your interested.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-FCB1010--m-04_68_328.html

The manual is also online, I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Don

Hi Don,,

The Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller is, as the name implies, a MIDI controller so sure it would work. You would need a MIDI Merge box so the accordion and the FCB1010 could both transmit data to the Genesys XP. However you couldn’t use the normal pedal assignment functions of the Genesys from the Pedal and Controllers edit screens. Instead you would have to program the FCB1010 for each function of the Genesys that you wish to control. This isn't necessarily hard to do, but is definitely time intensive and requires a good working knowledge of MIDI in regards to assigning MCC (MIDI Continuous Controller) data, etc. Plus then you are relying on a second piece of gear and its memory to store your settings. Of course you could do a MIDI SyEx dump from the FCB1010 into the Genesys and store the file to the Genesys hard drive or even burn it to a CD for back-up. But still the whole idea is much more involved than using the Multi-Pedal. Plus any time you can avoid using more hardware and cabling that necessary is a good thing; referring to the MIDI merge box and two more MIDI cables.

So with that in mind, if you can give me a little time (it is the weekend after all) to see what I can come up with I will get back to you and the other interested Genesys XP owners as soon as I can.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#15719 - 07/15/06 03:03 PM Re: PEDALS, PEDALS, PEDALS
donpatt Offline

Dave,

I certainly wasn't trying to rush you, I suppose i was just posting this info for anyone interested. We all appreciate your help at all times. So anything you can do regarding the GEM multi pedal unit will be very much appreciated.

Don

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online