SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14537 - 02/09/04 04:07 PM Storing sound changes when creating a style
to the genesys Offline

Hi
When creating a new style on the genesys, how do you store the sound changes? If the default sound is a piano and I change it to an organ, how do I store that change. Is it the same as if I were in song mode? I have been pressing the store button then enter. Is there an extra step in between those two steps for styles.
I have been pressing store then enter but that does not store the sound changes it goes back to the default sounds.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

#14538 - 02/09/04 04:42 PM Re: Storing sound changes when creating a style
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
I do the following

1. Set up the preset & style just the way I
want it.

2. Press the store button.

3. It should now be on: Store- Memories

4. Edit the memory name as desired.

5 Press the preset number 1 thru 8 button (or bank button first if you wish) then the preset button number 1 thru 8

Hope that helps

Jerry

#14539 - 02/09/04 06:51 PM Re: Storing sound changes when creating a style
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mainer's suggestion would certainly work. However you would have to select the edited style from the Memories section as opposed to selecting it from the User Styles section. There are advantages to using Memories in that mic and harmonizer settings, Variation, Keyboard Mode, etc. is all stored in a Memory.

But to answer your direct question;
Once you have made your edits, press the Store button.
Then press the Right Arrow button above the Tempo/Data dial twice. This will select Style Preset. (see note below)
If you want new sound(s) to be active as soon as you select your style, press enter. What this will do is store this Style Preset in the first Style Preset location which is automatically activated upon selecting a style.
NOTE: Remember, there are a total of 8 Style Presets per style. If you want to save additional Style Presets within your style, press the Down Arrow button twice after selecting Store Style Preset, and use the Tempo/Data dial to choose one of the other Style Preset locations.

When you call up your style, press the Style Presets button to the left of the JAZZ Style Families button and you will have access to all of the stored Style Presets for that style.

Also notice that you can name Style Presets by highlighting the current name by using the Arrow buttons and then naming the sound using the keyboard and alphabet silk-screened below the keys.

I hope this helps.

Dave

#14540 - 02/09/04 07:35 PM Re: Storing sound changes when creating a style
to the genesys Offline

Thanks Mainer and Dave that was very informative. One problem I have been having is that when I am creating a new style when I choose a different drum kit than the default, it does not store that drum kit. I hear the new drum kit when I am recording the style but when I come out of record mode and I play the style, I hear the default sound and not the one I chose. For example when recording a new style track 3 defaults on a sax. If I want to use a organ on that track in sted of the sax, how do I store that sound so that when I recall the style, I would get the organ and not the sax. Thanks

#14541 - 02/09/04 08:39 PM Re: Storing sound changes when creating a style
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
In the WK8 or SK880 when you entered record mode for a style, the defaults would show up and when you switched to a new voice or drum set you have to push the write button to lock in your new sounds or else the default would keep showing up. I'm not at the store right now with my Genesys but I would think there must be a similar way to "lock" you new voices within the style while in the record mode. The style performances I thought were to store your preferences for the upper sounds you play. I didn't think it was to change all the sounds within the style tracks, but perhaps I'm wrong. I'll check tomorrow at the store with my Genesys.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#14542 - 02/09/04 08:46 PM Re: Storing sound changes when creating a style
Anonymous
Unregistered

When creating a new style, all 8 accompaniment tracks are loaded with default sounds. These default sounds are stored in Style Preset 1. Each time a style is selected, Style Preset 1 of that style is activated, loading the 8 tracks with the sounds that were originally stored in that preset.

If you change a sound in one or more of the style tracks, you must save the changes as a Style Preset (Style Preset 1 if you want these sounds to be the default sounds for that style when selected) BEFORE recording or playing back that style. If you press Start whether recording or playing back before you store the Style Preset, the original sound(s) will be re-loaded and your changes will be lost.

Please refer to my previous post for info on how to store Style Presets.

Good Luck,

Dave

#14543 - 02/10/04 04:25 AM Re: Storing sound changes when creating a style
to the genesys Offline

`Dave thanks for the information. I think I understand the concept better now. It is a bit different from SK an WK.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online