SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#14470 - 05/15/03 04:31 PM Stle converter
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Does any one know of a style converter for the Genesys and or general music styles. Are there any other Genesys owners on the site? I am have a dog of a time trying to bing in a Kurzweil sample and I know I'm doing something wrong. I can't find the directions on dealing with the Kurz files or maybe can't see them.

Jerry

#14471 - 06/01/03 10:55 AM Re: Stle converter
Tommy64 Offline

Loc: Randers Denmark
Hi Jerry!
Nice to hear from somebody else who also using this instrument.
I have no experience regarding samples but i think the chapter starting on page 31 in the manual part 2 will help you.
If you dont have this, it can be downloaded from GEM homepage.

#14472 - 06/02/03 06:25 AM Re: Stle converter
Mainer Offline

Hi Tommy

It’s nice to meet another Genesys owner. I am still wrestling with how to set this thing up the way I want to, but get a little more enthused every day. I love the way this board sounds in General. The only weak points, in my opinion are some of the organs but I have a feeling I may be able to tune them the way I want in time.
Oh back to the subject, Style converter. There are some utilities that allow you to convert a Technics style into a Yamaha style for instance. I love the styles much more so then on my PSR 2000 styles but like any keyboard junkie I’m always looking for more. I've not tried the sampling yet but that will be coming very soon. I've tried loading Kurzweil Samples but no luck yet The Gen sees the KRZ file but the load section will not activate. I will get a few Wav files and see how that works. I also plan to do a little live sampling from My My organ to the Genesys all I need is a little time. (thats a toughie)

How long have you had yours and are you enjoying it.

Jerry

PS I have download some of these files and some are ok but none really tuned to the Genesys.
http://www.musicmediasoft.com/eng/

#14473 - 06/02/03 07:19 AM Re: Stle converter
Tommy64 Offline

Hi Jerry,

I know of a program by EMC. It works with a lot of different keyboards. That is you buy a version that meets your keyboard, and then can translate nearly all styles from known boards. A complete version, the works, is also available. Check out this link: http://gem.generalmusic.com/en/accessories/works_professional.html

In generel i am very satisfied with the instrument, BUT there are several points, where improvement should be done.
Among these are the import and export of midifiles. The Genesys seems to have a life of its own here. It converts all tracks to what it believes is the better sound. I have not yet figured out how to do this the "right" way.
Are you using the keyboard mainly for styles or midifiles or both?

I have purchased some files from MMS and find the quality very good. What files have you tried, since you come up with a different opinion?

By the way i got mine in December!

------------------
Regards
Tommy

#14474 - 06/04/03 04:25 PM Re: Stle converter
Mainer Offline

Tommy

I down loaded a trial version of EMC's style converter and it seems to work pretty well. It saves only one variartion I'm tempted to bite the bullet a buy it.

I use my keyboard mostly for styles I've have very unpredictable results with the midi some downright suck but sound fine in the computer or the Yamaha 2000 go figure. There are some that sound ok so I may explore more on that later.

The files I tried from MMS were the free demo downloads so It's probably not fair to judge to harshly at this point.

Do you play professionaly or as a hobbiest? I got this keyboard 2 months ago and really like it a lot, all though its not perfect. What do you like best about your board?

Jerry

#14475 - 06/06/03 06:42 AM Re: Stle converter
Tommy64 Offline

Hi Jerry

Yes the changing of midifiles into ? are rather frustrating.

I am semi pro, that is I do gigs in the wekends, and have a regular job besides.

What i like most about the keyboard? I think it is it more or less unlimited possibilities. You can change evrything to your liking. This is however also its biggest problem, you can keep on changing endesly.

#14476 - 06/06/03 08:44 AM Re: Stle converter
Mainer Offline

Tommy
you said
What i like most about the keyboard? I think it is it more or less unlimited possibilities. You can change evrything to your liking. This is however also its biggest problem, you can keep on changing endesly.

Well said!!!!!

I just Joined the GEM club and hope to find a little more support on a few issues. I did not buy my Gen new so I'm kind of alone on support issues although Paul Davis from Gem has jumped in with a little help now & then.

What other key boards have you owned (own) and just how do you feel this stacks up?

Oh is me or are some of the B-3 sounds just terrible.

Jerry

#14477 - 06/10/03 11:36 AM Re: Stle converter
Tommy64 Offline

Hi Jerry!

What is the GEM club?

I have experienced problems with acustic guitar sound, a reload of systemfiles solved the case, but it has happend twice now. I hope this is something which is corrected in the new softwarerelease 1.1, that I have been informed is on the way.
I find the B3 sounds ok, but can only compare to my old WX2, that has accompanied me for many years.
When I gig I only use 1 keyboard, and I believe the Genesys is the best for the time being. I know the Tyros is very popular, but I still prefer the Genesys.
Before I used Charlie Labs Mega Beat One midifile player, as the WX" had problems understanding GM files. Now the is cleared, so I have sold this unit, that actually was VERY easy to use.

#14478 - 06/10/03 06:28 PM Re: Stle converter
Mainer Offline

The Gem Club is at this URL http://www.gem-club.com/ It is fee based at 35 Pounds or roughly 52 US. There are a lot of downloads available. There are a few other perks as well, not sure if it will be worth the money in the short haul but do think it will be worthwhile overall. I get frustrated at times with the Genesys but do not tire of the wonderfull sounds & styles I do need to really learn how to get the most out of it.

Jerry

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online