SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#372344 - 09/26/13 05:44 AM Kryboard Amplification
underdog Offline

I am trying to get(near)the same sound,only much louder from my keyboards when playing at live gigs as I do at home when I plug them into my old Yamaha P300 piano through the line in input.The sounds from it is perfect.
I have tried different setups A Peavey KB300,2 RCF Art300a powered speakers + mackie mixer,A Ampeg bass combo but none of them comes near the sound of the small built in speakers in the Yamaha especially for piano sounds.
I am using a Ketron Aydya and a software Pianoteq for piano sounds.
Does anyone have any different suggestions,or maybe use some effect pedals. Thank you

#372362 - 09/27/13 04:52 AM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: underdog]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I suggest a sub woofer for that deep, full sound ... even at the lower levels. I have a small EV unit that pumps about 600 watts out and its pretty compact and under 50lbs.

#372382 - 09/27/13 02:55 PM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: Uncle Dave]
underdog Offline

Thank you Uncle Dave for replying.A sub woofer might certainly be worth a try and maybe mix it with some smaller speakers for higher octaves.
Maybe I am hard to please but I have yet to hear a keyboard amp that sounds good at loud volume.Most of them seems to either be very sharp with keyboard top notes or if you decrease the treble,the lower notes begin to sound like a bass guitar,especially with piano sounds and as I play live with a drummer and bass guitar,things start to get muddy.
I will have a go at your suggestion. Cheers

#372395 - 09/27/13 10:53 PM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: underdog]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Amplifying keyboard in a live band can be tough. I play guitar/keys in a classic rock band. I am currently using a Traynor K4 300 watt amp which has a 12 inch speaker and 2 4.5 inch speakers plus some hi frequency tweeters. It is much better than the powered 15 inch PA box I was using before it.

While it can produce a reasonable bass response it doesn't compete with the bass guitar in the band and definately isn't too sharp. It also has a preamp that can be switched between AX7 tube and solid state which provides flexibility. I tend to use the tube most of the time because I like the tube sound for organ sounds. But even still the difference is quite subtle.

Traynor is a Canadian amp company and have been around for many years. While my piano sound through the K4 is not what I would call hifi it works well with with a live rock band. Though that also may be because I always the tube preamp. I think I found it on eBay for about $899.

#372406 - 09/28/13 09:23 AM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: underdog]
underdog Offline

Hi Nigel.Thank you.I have seen some good reviews about the Traynor K4.
Problem is I live in N.Ireland and they seem to be non existant here.I don't know of anyone near who has one I could try and would have to order one from either Germany or USA, unheard
I definitely don't want anything with much bass.Just the sound you hear through headphones or keyboard speakers only much louder
I appreciate your reply.

#372411 - 09/28/13 02:54 PM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: underdog]
Nigel Offline
Admin

I think a sub woofer would give you more problems with the bass competing with the bass guitar. If you were using your keyboard as an arranger in a OMB situation then I would definately go that way. But playing keyboard in a live band is a totally different thing. Roland and Behringer make keyboard amps with 12 inch speakers that you could try out in stores around where you live. I definately wouldn't go with anything bigger than a 12 inch speaker. 15 inch speakers will definately give you the bass problem you are trying to avoid.

I think 10 inch speakers would even be better than 12 inch. They will produce high frequencies well without the sharpness you are getting from having most of your high frequencies being produced by the tweeters.

I would seriously think about a cabinet with 2 or 4 x 10 inch speakers and a good quality power amp. They can still produce bass because you have more speakers pushing air but not as much in the very low frequency range which sounds like is your current problem. It would be nice to have high frequency tweeters as well as the 10s but the 10s will produce mid to high frequencies pretty well without the sharpness.

#372413 - 09/28/13 03:41 PM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: Nigel]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Most of the 10" cabinets around are designed for bass players though there are some guitar cabinets as well. Looking around online I see there are some monitors and PA cabinets that have a single 10 paired with a high frequency horn. It maybe worth considering a couple of those with a power amp to get a full range sound that would work for keyboard onstage.

The 10" Kustom floor monitors I was looking at were pretty cheap at $75 each and had a built in cross over for the high frequency horn. If you used 4 of these you could also put one on the other side of the stage to get good stage sound coverage.

Just a thought anyway. Still I think getting more smaller speakers is the way to go.

#372416 - 09/29/13 02:12 AM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: underdog]
underdog Offline

Thank you Nigel.I see Peavey does a KB5 amp with two 10" speakers + horn.Does anybody have any experience of this amp.
Last night I tried keyboard with our guitar players old Fender twin reverb valve amp (two 12" speakers) and the piano sounded perfect for the lower to middle range but very sharp at higher octaves.Maybe a valve amp might make a difference too

#372420 - 09/29/13 04:36 AM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: underdog]
Nigel Offline
Admin

2 x 10" with a high frequency horn sounds very promising. While I haven't used this amp myself it does sound like the sort of setup I was suggesting. You should see if you can find some reviews of it online.

#372421 - 09/29/13 04:46 AM Re: Kryboard Amplification [Re: underdog]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: underdog
Thank you Nigel.I see Peavey does a KB5 amp with two 10" speakers + horn.Does anybody have any experience of this amp.
Last night I tried keyboard with our guitar players old Fender twin reverb valve amp (two 12" speakers) and the piano sounded perfect for the lower to middle range but very sharp at higher octaves.Maybe a valve amp might make a difference too

It could be the tube amp but it could also be because the higher frequencies are out of range of the 12" speakers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online