SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8637 - 06/30/08 02:10 PM Yamaha MM6 VS Korg M1
The Plague Offline

Loc: US
Hi Guys,
I recently bought a Yamaha MM6 and I am happy with my purchase.
It sounds great, looks great, has hundreds of patters (aka styles), has basic recording, USB connections and a huge LCD Display.
I was trying the Korg Legacy application and I found the Korg M1 to be a fantastic Synth altough it is pretty old. The sounds are heavy and full, it has a professional sequencer and can be upgradable with expansion cards.
The price diff is very small if I were to sell my MM6 and get one of those M1's but I would like to hear from someone who actually played one of those to help me make this decision. Am I going to have much nicer heavy and realistic sounds playing this M1 or I should stick with the MM6? If I had the money I would of course go for a Motif or a Juno G, but I can't find any other best bang for the bug besides the MM6 or the M1, any advises?
Thank you!

#8638 - 06/30/08 05:02 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 VS Korg M1
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Depends on what you want to do I suppose. If you just want to monkey about with old junk (uh... good old junk that is. Junk we all love) then pick up a used M1 or T or an O1W. Whatever you can pick up really since the stuff is becoming somewhat of a rarity. Even if you manage to get one in a good condition any potential repairs will run you up more than the thing is actually worth.

IMHO you'd be much better off investing in a nice audio card, some sequencer/ host program (Like Sonar Home or Fl or Cubase) and a bunch of software synths. It might cost more than the M1 but by the end of the day you'll be investing in a really good setup and not just one half-dead old workstation. As reliable as some old synths might be they weren't meant to last forever. ...But then again, nothing lasts forever, right?

cheers,

#8639 - 06/30/08 05:40 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 VS Korg M1
The Plague Offline

Loc: US
In fact it will eventually break, possibly blow away considering its age however it really sounds great, if you ever try Korg Legacy and compare side by side with MM6 you will see what I mean. I'm just stunned how great this old junk can sound...

#8640 - 06/30/08 06:48 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 VS Korg M1
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
The Legacy M1 is basically like M1 on steroids. First of all it comes with most (if not all) of the M1 sound library. That means all of the M1 cards Korg ever made. On top of that it has resonant filters (which you don't need to be a synth programmer to appreciate).

The real thing looks poor in comparison. First of all there is no convenience of having easy access to all the sounds. What you get are time consuming Sysex dumps to load each new bank you want to try. Also, there is no way you will be able to find all of the cards. If any at all that is. Might find one or two but that's nothing comparing to the entire M1 library at your fingertips, eh? ...Or I should really say entire M1 library you can go through by just clicking your mouse a few times. Loading patches on the real thing would seem tedious if we're talking Sysex dumps and practically impossible if we're talking about trying to get a hold of all of the M1 card sets.

Just get the legacy M1 and control if from your MM6. Check if your audio hardware is ASIO For All compatible. If not then look for a better audio card. I think the Korg legacy stuff runs standalone so there's no real need for host apps if you just want to play with one.

cheers,

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 06-30-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online