SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8609 - 05/12/08 11:53 AM Roland Fantom X-8/Competition/Buying Advice!
stukeys Offline

Loc: Manchester, UK
Hi

I know the FX-8 has been around some time now, but there are good discounts available. I'm getting back into building my own studio again and wanted a good future-proof platform from which to build. Anyone have suggestions on competition for my £££? Must be weighted and I need good sounds as opposed to needing excess technology and being able to communicate with the Space Shuttle.

Budget = £1500 GBP

Thanks in advance.

#8610 - 05/12/08 03:17 PM Re: Roland Fantom X-8/Competition/Buying Advice!
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
yamaha Motif ES 8. Screw Phantom.

cheers,

#8611 - 05/13/08 01:00 AM Re: Roland Fantom X-8/Competition/Buying Advice!
stukeys Offline

Loc: Manchester, UK
Yep, i'm hoping to get to play one this weekend somewhere. Any idea on the Korg offerings, i'm in the first stages of comparisons. I've been out of playing for a few years, unfortunately...I remember my 01/W and M1 with great fondness.

Why do you choose the ES-8 over the Fantom>

#8612 - 05/15/08 05:50 PM Re: Roland Fantom X-8/Competition/Buying Advice!
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I've pretty much beaten the topic of comparing the ES to the Phantom to death. Just search the forum and you'll know what I mean. Actually to think of it when the ES series were still Yamaha's flagship synthline there were a ton of threads on comparing it to the Phantom triton etc.

In short what I like about the ES is that you can expand it with different synth engines (rather than just more samples on expansion cards). The most important factor for me however is that all sounds on the MOtif work well in the mix. On Roland and Korg synths they kind of sound great in the patch mode but really don't work that well in a multitimbral context. Actually Korg are a bit better in that respect. ALthough still not as good as Yamaha.

That 'bout sums it up. Oh, and I also like the keyboard feel of the ES8. Out of all the weighted action keyboards (excluding the later MO and Motif XS synths of course) it is simply the best. If you like weighted keys that is.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online