SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6725 - 08/03/07 11:08 PM NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
becky99 Offline

Loc: detroit Mi USA
Hi
Ive been looking around and trying to decide what keyboard would be right for me and Im in desperate need of some advice from some people who know.
Some info: This will be my first keyboard (s), Im not overly tech-savvy, dont know much about MIDI though I am pretty good on the computer. My budget is around $1000.oo and I'm not averse to buying 1 or 2 older used ones if thats better. Old or new is fine. What I need is a) a decent quality digital piano. I want to be able to learn to play real piano stuff. I dont care necessarily about weighted keys as it seems likely that lighter keys will be easier to play but I do want a good piano sound. b) I also need to be able to do some really noisy raunchy stuff as well. Preferrably with samples so maybe something with the ability to read files on disc or memory that I can load in either off the computer or disc. It would be nice to be able to interface with Reason or some such to do some things too. Im really looking to have the ability to sound super nice and clean with a real rich piano sound on one board and get downright vile on another one. Or maybe there is one keyboard that will do it all. I like some roland stuff and Yamaha but would really like to get some direct input from some knowledgeable folks in reference to my actual needs to help point me in the right direction.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Becky in Detroit

#6726 - 08/04/07 07:02 AM Re: NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
If you're shopping in the $1000 range for "new" to fit your need the choices would be:

YAMAHA: Nothing.., as even their MO series starts at $1199, but DOES NOT read samples or load in new wav data. It's a "what you see is what you get workstation"

ROLAND: $1000 range for them would be the Roland Juno-G. Cool little workstation with Fantom based sounds, audio recording, SRX expansion and it will load in samples. The G's sound set covers a wide range of genres.

KORG: They have the TR series. However, it starts at $1000, but sampling is an option and is upwards of $200 extra to install.

Used: You could probably find a nice Motif Classic 6 or a Motif ES6. I think MusiciansFriend was blowing the ES6 out at $1299. You could also look for a used Roland Fantom. Also have a look at a used Korg Triton...

Best Regards,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#6727 - 08/04/07 12:30 PM Re: NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Some good advice posted above. I also wanted to recommend a Motif ES.

Getting a USB controller, audio card and a host program with few soft synths might cost you about the ssame though. A far more powerful setup. However, this will require a CPU from hell. So if Your computer is up for the task consider this option too.

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 08-04-2007).]

#6728 - 08/08/07 08:05 AM Re: NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
becky99 Offline

Thanks for the great advice. Im still looking but keeping you guys' information inmind.

thanks again
becky

#6729 - 09/07/07 06:12 AM Re: NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
Ronners Offline

Loc: Burnley Lancashire UK
Hi Becky A realy good keyboard is the YamahaDGX 620 it will do loads cost just over 400 pounds stirling. Check out the demos on the Yamaha web site best regards Ron H

#6730 - 09/07/07 10:23 AM Re: NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi becky99,

One thing that jumped out at me in your question was
"I want to be able to learn to play real piano stuff. I dont care necessarily about weighted keys as it seems likely that lighter keys will be easier to play"

Personally, you have to come to an understanding here. If you want to play "real piano stuff", you really have got to have full sized, fuly weighter key. You could sacrifice graded action for balanced action with not too much of a loss, but there's a huge trade off if you give up the full sized weighted keys for sure. One of the reasons a piano sounds so good is because the weight of the keys make the instrument so dynamic.

There really is no one board that can do it all, but some come close. Those that do are weighted. Try Yamaha S90 used. I own one and believe it to be one of the best "all-around" boards but it lacks when I need to play fast synth leads or organ palm swipes. It can be expanded but does not contain a sampler for you to load in sound that you've recorded.

But really, you will not learn to play real piano stuff on anything less than full sized weighted keys, in my humble opinion that is. You may want to consider a stage piano like a Yamaha P90 and add a sound module for your synthy stuff ?

best wishes
Bob
<><
You also wrote...

#6731 - 09/07/07 01:34 PM Re: NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I just guessing here, but the way I read Becky's "real piano" quote - I thik she means REAL sounding. Almost any kb made in the last 5 yrs or so will do that.
I have terrific real piano styles and I play them on 61 synth action keys.
Just another man's opinion.

#6732 - 09/09/07 09:30 AM Re: NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
becky99 Offline

Thanks again for all the replies. I still havent decided what to get but I was looking for real piano sounds rather than necessarily the real "action", etc of a digital piano. I just want something that really sounds like the real thing but also can give me the crazy harsh techno noise tones as well.

Becky

#6733 - 10/05/07 10:39 PM Re: NewBee Needing advice on First Keyboard (s)
becky99 Offline

Is anyone familiar with the Yamaha CLP-560? It sounds quite good and is a nice full weighted 88 key piano. I can get a nice clean used one for around 300.00 Anyone have any experience with them> There doesnt seem to be much about them on the net

thanks
Rachel

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online