SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7363 - 06/05/07 08:00 AM Help Please Latency
Apex Offline

Hey,
Having been busy for the past months I finally have the time to mess around with my midi keyboard and VSTi's to experiment and see whats what. Unfortunately however no matter what I adjust at the moment there is a great deal of latency from my midi keyboard almost about 1 or 2 seconds making it impossible to actually use. I am currently working with on board sound, although the rest of my PC setup is pretty new and up to date. Basically how can I reduce this latency, would a new sound card help, because I am happy with the sound quality as it is, as I am only messing around and trying things out. The midi keyboard I am using is an old model not a new USB synth etc it is just a Yamaha keyboard I wanted to use as a controller, is it just always going to lag because it is old?
Thanks guys, I would really appreciate a speedy respose as I don't want to have to wait till I am free again to try this all out.

#7364 - 06/05/07 08:23 AM Re: Help Please Latency
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You need low latency ASIO drivers, however onboard sound (Unless using the latest 24 bit systems) is usually crap.
You can download universal ASIO drivers from this site http://www.asio4all.com/ which hopefully will solve your problem. (Don’t forget to select the ASIO drivers in the program you are using, as it normally defaults to the Multimedia Driver)
Hope this helps

Bill

#7365 - 06/05/07 08:40 AM Re: Help Please Latency
Apex Offline

Thanks, I have tried the ASIO drivers in the program I use but it stops any sound coming out from the VSTi, so I can't hear anything when I play. I will try it again though as it is porbably a software problem rather than sound card etc.
----------------------------------------------
Having just installed it, using the ASIO option leaves me with no sound within the program I am using. I can still hear Windows Media Player etc just nothing on the VSTi or software, are there any other options?

P.S this is what i recieved of the software help email:
"Regarding the ASIO4ALL driver: I haven't had reports of it not working, but since audiodrivers
are extremely dependant on certain audio hardware it may be possible that ASIO4ALL is not
compatible with your particular soundcard. It's a general purpose encapsulation of the standard
WDM drivers after all. The prefered option is still the ASIO driver that is natively made for your
audio hardware since these are optimized as much as possible. ASIO4ALL is only
recommended for soundhardware that has no dedicated ASIO drivers (such as the common
AC'97 chips found in most laptops)."
Would this therefore suggest getting a new soundcard and if so which one should I be looking for that will be compatible but also quite cheap?

[This message has been edited by Apex (edited 06-05-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Apex (edited 06-05-2007).]

#7366 - 06/05/07 02:55 PM Re: Help Please Latency
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Are you using the VST as a stand alone or as a Plug-in, If it is Stand Alone then you will need to set the ASIO drivers within the VST, if it is being used as a Plug –in then you will need to set the ASIO drivers in the Host, you may also need to connect them to the VST (Both In and Out) in the host, as not all do it automatically. (I’m afraid it’s a case of getting the instruction book out)
As to sound cards, do a search on SZ in the General Arranger and Software Forums, where you will find plenty of suggestions.
Hope this helps

Bill

#7367 - 06/06/07 06:27 AM Re: Help Please Latency
Apex Offline

Thanks, i'll take a look.

*Fixed Now*

For anyone else with the same problem all I did was purchase a new *Audigy* sound card and that did the trick.

[This message has been edited by Apex (edited 06-08-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online