SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8272 - 08/23/06 08:24 AM Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
Gibson1 Offline

Loc: LA
Just wondering what keyboard, regardless if it's a synth or arranger, has the best plug in and go sounds for jazz. This would include stings, sax, horns and percussion. Don't mind some tweaking with effects and eq but really need something that doesn't take an engineer to run. Would be used for recording and live.

[This message has been edited by Gibson1 (edited 08-23-2006).]

#8273 - 08/23/06 11:24 AM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
From the world of hardware synths, I prefer the Motif line all the way. But I'm sure you'll get lots of differing opinions. I think a used classic Motif rack is about the best bet for sounds and pocket.

Bob
<><

#8274 - 08/23/06 12:44 PM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Gibson1
Remember the old saying “One mans meat is another mans poison”, the same applies to keyboards, so listen to demos and if at all possible (The recommended option) spend some time with the boards for yourself.
You also have to make a decision between Hardware Arrangers/Synths, Software Arrangers/Synths using a computer or an instrument that uses a combination of the two. (And don’t forget to take your budget into account)
Sorry I cannot be of more help, but do a search on the synth zone forum, and you will find all types of opinions, demos and links that relate to what you are looking for.

Bill

#8275 - 08/23/06 02:00 PM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
Gibson1 Offline

Thank's all for the replys. I know it's a really general and open ended question subject to everyone's personal tastes. I'm just not too good at programing and tweaking sounds. I have a old Boss DR-5 rythym maching that I can't get to first base with. I heard some of the demos from the inexpensive Yamaha PSR series that sound pretty good but then I have heard demos for the Alesis Fusion and I say WOW but then realize the time and programing ability to get those sounds.

#8276 - 08/23/06 03:19 PM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Gibson

Take a hard look at the Kurzweil PC2 series, they sound very very good and can be tweaked pretty decently. Not a full blown synth but could probably do the trick for your needs.

Jerry

#8277 - 08/23/06 04:53 PM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
prisstype Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm going to have to send you in the direction of the Yamaha Tyros2.

It's got a nice smooth alto sax sound, not to mention a good rotary organ.

#8278 - 08/23/06 06:17 PM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
Gibson1 Offline

Again, thanks for the replys and suggestions. I'll read the manuals for both of these units and try and get a live demo. I hope both of these can provide a complete backing track with minimal button pushing.LOL

#8279 - 09/06/06 12:03 PM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
casiobot Offline

#8280 - 09/14/06 12:16 PM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
Gibson1 Offline

Thanks you for posting the link to the Roland. There's alot of great presets on the demo. Does it require alot of editing to get those sounds. If not, then this board sounds like it 's meant for me!

#8281 - 09/15/06 11:41 AM Re: Best Preset Sounds-Any Keyboard
casiobot Offline

As far as I know,those sounds are "out of the box".
However,the new Roland E-Series is looming large over the horizon and they're bragging about "incredible sound" so I'd pound on the E-50(the bargain of the group)and see where it goes from there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online