SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#339 - 04/22/05 05:53 PM Is true stereo phase shift possible?
ski2u2 Offline

Loc: Orange CA
Is there an effects processor with stereo IN / stereo OUT with a good phase shift??

The Alesis MidiVerb only has Flange. It's not what I'm looking for. So, I decided to run a mono signal from my Hammond XK2 through a BOSS PH2 phase shifter. Amayzingly cool. Now I think: How do I do this in stereo. Well, DOD makes a "stereo" phase shift but it only has a single input with dual-output. I lose the real stereo effect that is produced by my keyboards. I theorize that using two BOSS PH2 (one for left, one for right) would result in sine-wave cancellation in one way or another - probably not the solution. Any ideas?

------------------
Andrew

#340 - 04/23/05 09:26 AM Re: Is true stereo phase shift possible?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yes it is.
Most Multi FX processor units can do that without a problem. Just look for processors with stereo in and outs. Like the good old Boss SE50 and SE70 for example.

Even cheaper stuf by Line 6 (like their modulation FX box) has stereo ins and outs and can phaze the signal by either modulating the stereo signal or modulating L/R sides separately and phazing them in the opposite directions.

Cancelation isn't going to be an issue

-ED-

#341 - 04/26/05 08:17 PM Re: Is true stereo phase shift possible?
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Wait. Do you know how many effects you can pull off in stereo phase shifting? There's a lot.I'm wondering, speculating that you are out for a long pass swirling shift.
Ed is right in that there is no cancellation audible in discrete stereo phase shifting although technically a cancellation of either the phased or dry signal could randomly occur. The thing is though, while your ears are traveling with the frequency sweep and traveling to you from two discrete sources, you would not detect the cancellation of sound but rather seem like the sound just met each other for a second with one channel seeming for a split second to be substancially louder than the other.
To contrare, you would get a great effect from adding a phase shifter to the other side. Keep it discrete though as much as possible for the best result. You'll find the effect quite amazing actually as the effect will seem to be "thrown over" from side to side yet still be coming from each channel.
Hey pedals aren't too bad! True, they're noisy as hell but were talking about a phase shift here, so without the noise it would sound closer to a rubberband like flange effect.
The direct answer to your post is:
Yes. Lexicon makes quite a few stereo proccessors with phase shifting.
The toughest sounding phase shift I ever heard in my life came out of a pedal though!
That pedal was made by Elecktroharmonics and the model was their top of the line unit around 1977 called Badstone. I will take four of them please. yeah right...be lucky as hell if I could only find one of them working.

A spelling correction. Sheese. I'm so anal sometimes! LOL

[This message has been edited by MORPH! (edited 04-28-2005).]

#342 - 04/27/05 07:48 AM Re: Is true stereo phase shift possible?
ski2u2 Offline

Thanks Morph. I got a chuckle from your response, but I quite agree that there's nothing like a pedal (other than the fact that they are used by guys who play that OTHER instrument). I ended up finding a "dual mono" patch in my Alesis Midiverb (cheap - only $199). It amounts to two discrete filters as you suggested. I got my best results when I set the rate of the left side faster than the right (I think I used 6-to-1).

Still it's digital, and as you say... there's just nothing like an analog pedal. That noise creates this killer "growl" sound that is the signature I'm looking for.

Thanks for your reply: I'm now convinced two pedals would work.

------------------
Andrew

#343 - 04/28/05 07:27 PM Re: Is true stereo phase shift possible?
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Not that I'm a vampire or anything, but I love fresh blood. So welcome to the crew.LOL
Shit. With the knowledge resources some of these guys have, united, we can possibly rule the world; but more than likely at the very least we could take over the bathrooms at a good recording studio.

#344 - 04/29/05 07:39 AM Re: Is true stereo phase shift possible?
ski2u2 Offline

Can we order pizza???

Actually (ahem) I've been a "junior" member since 1998 (or maybe earlier). Uncle Dave helped me make my final decision between the Roland VK7 and the Hammond XK2... and I might have helped other members by answering a few techy questions about Roland equip back then. But then I dropped off the face of the Earth for a while. It's good to be back... even if I have to hang out in the bathroom

------------------
Andrew

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online