SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5380 - 12/30/04 08:14 PM Help?
Trek Offline

Loc: Naples, Fl, USA
Ok, today I bought a Yamaha Midi Interface cord connector to link my PC and my Casio. I didn't look at the product until I got home and that was when I noticed it was Yamaha. Will my Casio WK 3000 work with this? On eof the lights on the chord was on (for the driver) so I think it will.

So, I am fairly new at this. I connect these two and set up my driver. Where do I go from here? The Yamaha software loaded up but does not show up as an icon on my desktop or anywhere else.

I had envisioned connecting the two and then something opening up where it would have info about downloaded additional tones and maybe saving the music onto my computer. I don't have a memory stick yet... I am still reading the manual...

Typically, what are the next steps people take from here. My end goal is to make music on the keyboard and save it to cd. I have Band in a Box but I heard Power Tracks is better for this?

How does one download these additional tones to the synthesizer and where are these tones at? (Address)

Thanks again,
Rob

#5381 - 12/31/04 02:59 AM Re: Help?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You Yamaha MIDI interface will work fine with your Casio. MIDI is not brand specific ( apart from sysex ) so you should be able to get Band-In-A-Box working fine with the MIDI interface and the Casio. Just make sure you connect MIDI-Out from the PC to MIDI-In on the Casio and MIDI-Out from the Casio to MIDI-In on the PC.

Finding new tones online for your WK may not be so easy. But you can find some WK websites on http://www.synthzone.com/casio.htm to start looking for some.

#5382 - 12/31/04 02:41 PM Re: Help?
Trek Offline

Thanks Nigel and everyone. This place is great. Nigel, you mentioned,

"Just make sure you connect MIDI-Out from the PC to MIDI-In on the Casio and MIDI-Out from the Casio to MIDI-In on the PC."

My cable interface I just bought is Midi in and out from synthesizer to PC USB. My Yamaha Interface connection is set up only to go to USB. Is this connected correctly?

There is a gap in my understanding of how to make this all work together. The interface cord isn't lighting up to show MIDI transfer. Neither my computer or WK 3000 is recognizing the other -- their not indicating in any way I can see that they know they are hooked up to each other. I have Window's Media Player. I think WMP will be the intermediary between the WK and my PC? I have tried to get Band-In-A-Box into the act with no luck. Any experts on Band-In-A-Box.

Can anyone explain what I am overlooking here? I want to play on the synthesizer and send the songs in a recorded form over to the computer. Maybe from there see what the notes were (A B C ect) and what length they were (eighth note, quarter ect).

Last question(s)... The smart media card... The Casio manual talks about the card but I don't see where it explains how one takes the smart card and transfers the info from it to the PC. With a floppy it would be easy but my Casio doesn't have a floppy port. What do I do on the Casio to transfer a song over to the PC?

#5383 - 12/31/04 04:44 PM Re: Help?
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Just as a general provision, take some time out and carefully look over your equipment manuals. It is VERY easy with electronic instrumentation to over look something, in your case, i/o settings pertaining to MIDI channels and allowable inputs. All of us are still waiting for the little black box that solves everything. For decades, Nigel, seasoned veteran members, and myself; we still try our best to not curse the living daylight out of our own setups because we often find that it's not the equipment, but rather us telling the equipment to do something that we really don't want it to do, but thought we did. Go over it step by step again. Watch and see, you will find it.

Once ago, amongst one of my many multi spaghettied conglomerations, it took me three weeks to figure out something that was right in front of me the whole while. Someone was stepping on my wires, which was pissing me off. I am extremely anal about people even looking at my setups no less touching of even stepping on wires that I have not yet moulded in or loomed up yet. There it was, low and behold, a splice that was only half twisted that I thought I had soldered and completed right beneath their feet. I had nothing to say, because it was of my own doing (or, in that case, lack of).
Unless the cable has a propietary function to the model it is being used with, it shouldn't matter. Look over your settings until you find the cause.
MORPH!

#5384 - 01/01/05 02:56 PM Re: Help?
Trek Offline

Thanks Morph.
Rob

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online