SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8160 - 09/01/04 09:20 AM Transitioning from one song to the next...
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone or everyone has any techniques for playing music from one song to the next. I do this alot in worship music because I don't want to break ther flow of worship. But I only have a few simple techniques. I'm really interested in changing keys. Like If I end one song inthe key of C and the next song is in the key of D, I usually just play and A chord at the end of the first song, this allows me to play the D chord in the next song easily.

So to go up 1 full step in key, I play the 4th chord in the new key.
To go up 2.5 steps (ie key of G to key of C) After the last G measure to end the old song I will play G/F, C/E, Dm, G, Then the first C chord of the new song. I can play this quickly or slowly, 4 counts or 8, I try to use it to adjust the tempo into the new song.

So does anyone have any favorite transitions? I've love to try them out and incorporate them. I'd like to be able to transition from any key to any key.

Peace
Bob
<><

#8161 - 09/01/04 05:44 PM Re: Transitioning from one song to the next...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
I would think, the time signature and the tempo would have to dictate how the transition is made.
Personally, I like to drop a full tone & a half (end in G drop to e7..move up to the A).
Give a listen to Dire Straits "On the Night" CD. (No, it's not religious music, but the transitions from one piece to the next are incredible), particularly the saxaphone fills.
Just my thots.

------------------
...L

#8162 - 09/02/04 08:23 AM Re: Transitioning from one song to the next...
RW Offline

Thanks L,

Yes time signature and tempos are critical, those changes have to made somewhere in the chordal transitions for sure. Changing tempo is always fairly easy... Since I've never yet had an drastic tempo changes, I generally start the new rhythm/tempo at the very last note of the old song, or build it up from there.

Your drop to a full tone and a half, to go up one full step in key, is the same as I've described
"So to go up 1 full step in key, I play the 4th (correctio, 5th) chord in the new key.". The E7 is the 4th (correction 5th) chord in the key of A (as far as I know). The difference is you use the 7th note of the 4th (correction, 5th) chord as well. Thanks for that tip. And I'll try to get a copy of the Dire Straits CD. I don't necessarily need religious music as examples.

Thanks again L.

Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 09-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 09-03-2004).]

#8163 - 09/02/04 06:04 PM Re: Transitioning from one song to the next...
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Actually, E is the 5th of A

There are so many ways to do this. Say you are in C
From C to Db use an Ab7 from out of C into Db, just as you would use an A7 into d

From C to Eb. go from C major, to F minor 7 to Bb7 to Eb. you're just going in the circle of 4ths from C to Eb

From C to E. This one is a little tricky. go from C down a half to B7 and into E. Sound better if you use a B suspended 4th, then resolve. if you use the B sus chord, you will share the E note in both chords. A C chord is of course C E G. A B sus7 chord would be B E F# and A. Sharing the E in both chords will make it sound better since you are transitioning to E anyway.

From C to F. just use a C7 coming out of C into F. or a Gmin7 will sound good before the C7

from C to F#. Go from C to C#7 into F#. A nice half step transition from C to C# and into F#

from C to G. this one is simple.

From C to Ab. another tricky one. No terrific ideas, but these do work. Go from C to A min, up a half into BBmin, and into Eb7 and finally into Ab. or you can just use a C chord, with C on both sides CEGC. then move your bass down to Bb, still maintaining the C chord in the right hand, and then moving the bass into Ab, while changing your right hand chord from CEGC to C Eb Ab C. Now you are in Ab

From C to A. from C, move bass up to E, which is the 3rd of the c chord. then keep bass in E, and use a suspended E chord in right hand, E A and B, or a variation thereof. OR you can do the half step down from C into Bmin to E7 to A

from C to Bb. Simple circle of fifths. from C to Cmin to F7 to Bb. or skip Cmin altogether if you want.

and from C to B. you can go from C to C#min to F#7 to B. or from C to F to F#7 to B.

These are a few examples. even more when transitioning from major to minor. Some sound better than other, and some keys just don't transition well. The smartest thing is to use half steps, whole steps and the circle of 4ths and 5ths. experiment with going up a tep, then down a fifth. up a fourth and up another half step. as you watch my examples this is what I do. use as many 2 5 1 progressions and half step or whole step modulations as possible.

Hope this helps somewhat

#8164 - 09/03/04 11:11 AM Re: Transitioning from one song to the next...
RW Offline

Wow, thanks. That was a big help. I'm off to go an digest some of this stuff you posted. Thanks again!

Bob
<><

#8165 - 09/03/04 12:12 PM Re: Transitioning from one song to the next...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
II V7 I.

That gets you into ANY new key with ease!

Play the II(minor) of the new key, then a V7 and finish on I(tonic) ! Simple and pleasant !

#8166 - 09/04/04 01:19 PM Re: Transitioning from one song to the next...
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Well. Not quite that simple and pleasant in my humble opinion. If you are in C and you want to go to E. You don't want to go from C to F#minor. That's not so pretty in my opinion. A tritone modulation isn't the most beautiful transition, that's why I suggested just going down a half from C to B7 and into E. NOt only that, but RW was looking for new ideas and ways of transitioning.
Music theory is extremely fun and frustrating at the same time. I enjoy experimenting with chords and intervals and how they relate to one another.Spice and variety, not 1 pat answer to everything.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online