SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2300 - 08/28/02 03:09 AM Soundblaster LIVE!
Nool Offline

Hi,

How are you doing?

I recently bought a SB live but wihtout a manual. I found out that through EAX you can aply effects on incoming signals in real time.

For example i can put some reverb on the Mic in so that when i say or sing something into the mic i hear the result in real time with reverb through my speakers.

There are lots of other effects and that's nice. Only I miss compression.

I want to hear my vocals in real time with a bit of limiting.

Is this possible with the SB live?? Do i need some additional software to perform these tasks?

I hope someone can help me out...

Regards
Nool

#2301 - 08/28/02 12:48 PM Re: Soundblaster LIVE!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
The standard software of the sb live has no compressors or limiters, so yes you need other software to achieve this.

I would not do this in realtime anyway unless you use hardware.
So just record the track on max volume before clipping and later do the final mix.
The creative software is not suitable for this by the way.

Your best bet is professional wave recording /editing software.

As the sb live is a consumer/game card it is no professional audio card.
The input's are pretty noisy so this is another good reason to get yourselve good wave/editing software.

Best value for money and everything you need, plus ton's of extra's I would recommand
Cooledit pro.

It will f.i. allow 64 mono tracks in real time, if your pc can handle it.
You can de-noise each track.
It has lot's of pre-sets with dsp's/compressors/limiters etc...and you can built and save your own.
64 band equalizer etc...

while other software developers were trying to achieve only a fraction (soundforge f.i.) Cooledit is on the market since years!
The latest version is version 2.x which says a lot how good the software is in fact.
(other simular software is on version 10+)

oeps..
http://www.syntrillium.com/

take care,
Fred

[This message has been edited by freddynl (edited 08-28-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online