SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#316 - 04/05/02 08:07 AM MIDI basic link up, help needed pleeeeez
SpellcasterVicky Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi, i've got a very basic home recording studio I need to set up but the only thing i'm now not sure about is where my damn midi in's, out's and thru's should go to.
I've got to hook up a Roland xp50 synth, mixer, akai sampler and a pc running cubase.

I know it's quite straight forward (from memory) but if someone could e mail me or send me an info link like a basic illustrated set up or something similar i'd really appreciate it loads!!!

Please, "have a heart for a newbie" get in touch soon...your's Vicky x

------------------

#317 - 04/05/02 09:18 AM Re: MIDI basic link up, help needed pleeeeez
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
Vicky:
You've left out some information: computer MIDI interface + platform. If you're using a standard sound card on a Wintel machine, you'll need a gameport/MIDI adapter cable, which will give you one each MIDI in and out to your computer. I suspect Mac is similar, but I have no experience with that.

Since I presume your Roland is your controller, hook its MIDI-out to the adapter cable's MIDI-in. The MIDI-out of the adapter then goes to the MIDI-in of your sampler. If you want to use both the Roland and the sampler as modules, then you'll need to use MIDI-thru as the output of one to go to the other's MIDI-in.

Getting multiple MIDI-outs from your computer (allowing patching directly to each outboard module/synth) requires a MIDI patch panel - an additional piece of hardware. The standard soundcard setup will require you to filter the MIDI input of each device so that both don't play everything. Should be fairly easy to set up - consult the hardware's documentation on how to select channels for input on each. Of course, this isn't necessary if you're only using the sampler as a MIDI module.

I haven't mentioned anything about using your mixer for "real sound" sources - if you need help with that, more detail about what you want to mix with what and where it's all going are required.

Hope this helps! I'm not emailing directly, 'cause a forum benefits everybody. Hope you're checking here!

#318 - 04/05/02 10:37 AM Re: MIDI basic link up, help needed pleeeeez
tekminus Offline

Unless you get something like the Midiman Midisport 2x2 or bigger, you'll have to daisy-chain the gear. Which order in the chain works best for you, you'll have to try yourself. Start from the computer, midi out to midi in and so on. When you're sharing 16 channels, you'll have to deactivate some channels. Example: Your XP is using ch 1-8. You don't want the sampler to trigger on these so you turn them off in the sampler. This works differently with different gear.

-tek

#319 - 04/05/02 10:56 AM Re: MIDI basic link up, help needed pleeeeez
SpellcasterVicky Offline

Re: Paragraph 2. NICE 1, SORTED!! CHEERS :0)

------------------

#320 - 04/05/02 10:58 AM Re: MIDI basic link up, help needed pleeeeez
SpellcasterVicky Offline

And thanks to you too tek. I'm back up and running.

Time to label all my leads me thinks!

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online