SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4674 - 03/04/02 07:35 PM How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I know that I haven't !
I do not go to clubs for DANCE .......What makes 1 DJ better than another ? How they spin their records ? dano

#4675 - 03/04/02 09:32 PM Re: How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Uh ...... what are RECORDS ?

#4676 - 03/05/02 01:14 AM Re: How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
fxdif Offline

Who wants to go and see a DJ anyway? They may as well put on a mixed CD.

[This message has been edited by fxdif (edited 03-05-2002).]

#4677 - 03/05/02 09:08 AM Re: How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
tekminus Offline

Dan, the music perhaps? Not all DJs spin other people's music exclusively.

Richie Hawtin for example, YUO Sm;AERTY PANTS!

#4678 - 03/08/02 06:27 AM Re: How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
alex_g Offline

Loc: U.K. Midlands
Not all DJS just 'play records'. DJing has become as much a form of musical expressionism as 'traditional' forms of music. Isn't it about time 'purist' musos got off their high horses and took some time to research what the contemporary music scene is all about? I speak from experience, I'm a DJ, I have been for 8 yrs now, but I'm also a musician. I don't just play records, when I do a gig I mix in my own original material, other musicians join me and add their own licks, trumpeters, saxophonists, vocalists, percussionists. I play synths, drop samples, sync sequencer tracks to the decks, scracth, flange, mix, match the list goes on....! Remember folks music is a personal thing, do what you feel, if other people feel it too then youre onto a wiiner, plus your making the lives of others better by doing something you enjoy - is there a better way to spend your time, if so, enlighten me 'cos maybe ive missed something!!!!

NEWAY 'nuff said! if you want to find out what i'm ranting on about, check these sites.
www.technique-uk.com - forward thinking club promoters/DJ's/Producers from suuny Derby in England
www.spirit-live.com - net radio station soon to feature exclusive live sets, DJ sets and webcasts from the UK's most upcoming future musicians
www.alexg.net, my website under construction, to launch in JULY 2002

Keep it unreal!

Alex G

#4679 - 03/08/02 07:24 PM Re: How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
danb Offline

Who wants to be a DJ anyway? I tried it once but some people thought that I'm cooking pizza or something on the stage. So I quit doing it and stick to singing and playing real tune in my keyboard. Similar to playing percussion pad, a square device with 8 pads, they thought I'm cooking BBQ. Oh people!!!! Oh well... I guess I love my keyboard so much. It doesn't look like a electric cooking range or bbq grill. Let's keep our music alive!!!

#4680 - 03/08/02 07:31 PM Re: How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
Uncle Dave Offline

So...........playing your electronic keyboard is MORE legit than playing an electronic drum set? Hmmmm.....There's something very wrong with THAT thinking.

#4681 - 03/08/02 08:33 PM Re: How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
danb Offline

I'm talking about live performance. Don't you know that UD? All people have different points of view on everything. Some think it's a joke and some are ignorance. I would say maybe because the keyboard has more similarity to a real piano than the electronic drum set to a real drum set. In our case it was a joke because our drummer, who has a little attitude was against the idea of having percussionist using pads instead of using a real conga, timbales, etc.. He was using a real using acoustic drum set and he doesn't want to use electronic during live performances. The electronic percussionist doesn't have much volume in the mains, only in the monitor so the audience can't tell or identify the percussion sounds.

#4682 - 03/08/02 09:13 PM Re: How many have seen a DJ perform live ?
Uncle Dave Offline

As soon as a drum set is totally mic'd - I prefer an electronic kit. The sounds are more easily controlled, and the tone is so much better. That is not the case if the acoustic tone can be heard, however. I have a drummer that I take out with a sax man, and we play so quiet that the clicking of the sax's keys are heard sometimes !
I also have a full digital drum set in my studio, and every time a drummer plays them ... they get spoiled. They really are an asset.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online