SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17 - 02/26/02 12:55 PM ? for Uncle Dave
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Figured I'd go right to the top.
I've got confidence in your expertise.
Have you ever come across an instrument called a "Glass Harmonica". I saw this the other day on television and it blew me away. It seems to be designed around some sort of glass cylinder. there's forced air involved (I think), and tone and pitch are manipulated by finger/hand location. Gotta be one of the most bizarre things I've seen or heard.
Any knowledge on this...
Thanx for any info...

#18 - 02/26/02 01:02 PM Re: ? for Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm flattered that you asked, but sorry - I've never seen one ! I did stock Tipple strings when I had a retail store .... is THAT weird enough for you?

#19 - 02/26/02 01:57 PM Re: ? for Uncle Dave
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Pioneered by Ben Franklin, I don't think it has any forced air mechanisms though. I do know however, that the glasss harmonica or harmonium uses high quality crystal for producing sound, much like when you see those dudes playing wine glasses. Those are high quality crystal goblets. The glass initially was rotated much like an old sowing machine functioned, with a foot pedal crank. Newer or modified glass harmoniums use an electric motor. These instruments are very expensive, Im not even sure if anyone makes comercial ones for sale. If someone did though, it would cost alot.

#20 - 02/26/02 03:25 PM Re: ? for Uncle Dave
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
One guy I know that owns a recording studio has an original one. He got it in an auction for 22,000.00 Yeah the guy has money to burn. It has a beautiful yet haunting sound. He started to play it and I was waiting for ghosts from the 18th century to start dancing around me.

It would defintely be cool to sample this sound.

[This message has been edited by Chris Attison (edited 02-26-2002).]

#21 - 02/27/02 08:35 AM Re: ? for Uncle Dave
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Thanx for the info people. I agree with Chris, the sound could best be described as haunting.
Thanx again.

#22 - 02/27/02 02:29 PM Re: ? for Uncle Dave
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Wasn't there something about the original ones that caused illeness to the performers? Some kind of poison entering through the fingers or some such thing?

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online