SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#389952 - 06/22/14 06:24 AM New to synths, question about Midi controller
Doley50 Offline

Hello,

I am new to synths and have a ton of questions but I will limit this post to just a few.
First I am using a Line6 midi controller , with Garage Band and my iPad, I have also purchased the Nave Waldorf virtual synth for my iPad.
There are two things that I want to do right now, and. I want to be able to perform this live, so using a DAW to record different tracks is not what I want to do. one is two layer sounds or stack them, not sure of the proper term. let's say I want a piano sound and a synth sound to play together creating one sound , how can this be done, and what is the proper term for this ?
Second is "splitting the keyboard" playing one sound on one octave of the keyboard and another sound on a higher octave.
I have seen this done on keyboards years ago, but I don't know if Virtual Synths have this feature, or if the modern player is using DAW's live and there is no need for it.
Like I have said , I am very new to all this and very eager to learn, so don't be shy about setting me straight on things.

Thanks
John

#389959 - 06/22/14 06:22 PM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hi John,
I haven't played with the Line6 piece yet, but I'm pretty sure it's a standard layout. Your term for layering is right on the money. To get this sound, you need two separate midi channels operating over the SAME keyrange ... each assigned to a different sound. Some controllers make this easy, others rely on the software to do the work. The split is almost the same technique, but the two channels do not overlap on the keybed - you pick a sound and a channel for the left side, and a different one for the right.
Check the manual for "zones" - this is the section that you need to learn about. Good luck!

#389977 - 06/23/14 05:27 PM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
Doley50 Offline

Thanks for the help Dave, I have been doing some research and it seems that Garage Band with not let me control , the CC# that I need to do what I want , nor will the Nave Woldorf .
I was talking with someone at Gutiar Center and they mentioned I could do it with Ableton or Sonor, but because most software now a days is multi functionally, I wondering what that software is called that let's you assign Midi CC# to banks. I am sure there is an app for the iPad that is free.
If I am screwing up the terms please let me know, I am more concerned about learning then protecting my ego. Lol.

#389979 - 06/23/14 09:10 PM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I wish I had more helpful advice, but I'm a hardware guy. I hope someone picks up on this topic for you.
Good luck!

#389982 - 06/24/14 01:52 AM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi

First of all you need to get a basic understanding of what Midi is about, so pop over to here which will help you out, and allow you to sort out what to look for. (Most decent software and hardware controllers allow you to assign CC codes)

The iPad is the best tablet out there for music, but if you want to go in-depth then you will need to go for a laptop.

When you have read and understood the link above, post back as you will then be able to ask specifics rather than general questions. (You may not even need to post back, but it would be nice to know how you get on)

Hope this helps

Bill

#390046 - 06/25/14 10:53 AM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
Doley50 Offline

Thanks, while things are becoming a little more clear, I can not seem to understand just how to assign a sound to a specific MiDi program number ( this seems to be the verbiage that Line6 uses, my understanding is it is also called the CC # ( Code )
I have downloaded Abelton Live, free trail to see if I can get what I want from that first and I figured when I get that working, I can work backwards to from my computer to my iPad, it seems that I need a sequencer to perform these task.

Is what I am looking to do, not very common in live performances anymore, do most people just use pre-recorded tracks, using samples and loops with Sequencers and/or DAW's ?

most of the manuals or Google searches seem to just touch on this.

Thanks for you help
John

#390049 - 06/25/14 11:45 AM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
abacus Offline

HI John

Program change codes and CC codes are totally separate; Program change codes select the sound (You match the number to the software/hardware sound or set the software up to suit) CC codes are used to modify the sound either in real-time or pre-set. (Pitch bend and modulation use CC codes as do volume controls)

A lot of DAWs are designed for studio use, however Ableton Live is by its name designed to be used live, as well as in the studio.

There are many video tutorials for Ableton Live so have a search on YouTube.

Hope this helps

Bill

#390082 - 06/26/14 06:47 AM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
Doley50 Offline

I appreciate your help and patients Bill,

I can't believe how hard it is to figure out how to do what I want to do , I figured there would be a midi mapping window in all the software that supported midi mapping, you look for the parameter that you want to control and enter that number on your controller or change the number to a number you want to use on your controller. I have found some mapping numbers, but the parameters are mostly dynamic parameters, ( Vol, Pan, Pitch, etc ... )
I have to say I am not to impressed with Ableton at all right now, just getting my controller to work is a hassle not to mention the GUI, looks like a throwback to the days when I was using Pro-Tools on Apple OS9.
I have been trying to find an answer to my question for 6 days now, and I have not found one article , forum or website, that even touches on Layering or Splitting a midi controller.
Sorry for the rant, just getting a little frustrated with this, I have given up doing this on my iPad at the moment.

Back to the books, videos, and Google Searches!

LOL
John

#390109 - 06/26/14 04:03 PM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
abacus Offline

Hi John

Layers are just using multiple Midi channels simultaneously over the same stretch of keyboard.

E.G. Select the number of voices (Layers) you wish to use and assign them each to a Midi channel. This can be done in the software if your controller does not have this capability, however most controllers do it automatically.

Splits are as they say, just splitting the keyboard into sections and having a different voice and Midi channel in each section, (You can also layer in the split sections) which can be done in either the controller or in the software.

Hope this helps

Bill

#390137 - 06/27/14 07:49 AM Re: New to synths, question about Midi controller [Re: Doley50]
Doley50 Offline

Hello,

I am happy to say, that I have found a work around, Logic Pro X, has the ability to stack patches with no manual midi set up, there are pre loaded patches that already have stacked sounds and you can change either one at will, and splitting the keyboard is done through there midi effects- arpeggiator !

I am sure that Ableton has this ability , but I spent a few hours with Ableton just trying to get it to recognize my controller, and trying to make since of it's interface.
As with Logic, I spent less then an hour to do what I wanted to do.

I still consider this a work around because I still can not figure out how to assign channels, or midi messages. I understand the concept, controller on the same channel as the software, assign two patches to the same channel, while I know how to change the channels on my controller, I can not figure out how to change channels in the software.
In logic I was able to find an area that let you select midi channels , so I believe with a little more reading, I will be able to figure it out. Also reading through the Midi basic again, I can get the whole Ports, Channels ( 16 ), Midi messages (128 ) and CC# figured out ( hopefully )
My biggest concern is whether or not I'll be able to do this on my iPad, I purchased the Nave Waldorf for the iPad, and I don't even know if I will even use it, ( $20.00 ) a lot of money to waste.
Thank you for your help, feel free to provide any more info, you may feel like your saying the same thing over and over, but sometimes I need to hear something a certain way for it to click.
Have great weekend!

John

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online