SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8655 - 07/09/08 07:58 PM Combo Organ
paracelcus Offline

Loc: lexington, ky, USA
Alright... So i'm looking to replace my rapidly aging Hammond xk-2. I've been looking at either a new Nord c-1 or trying to find a used Roland or Korg model. Has anyone had any experience with one or more of these? I'd like to go with two manuals - i figure this will be my last organ. i want it to count.

#8656 - 07/09/08 11:15 PM Re: Combo Organ
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you want a Hammond, why not go for the latest modular XK3 option http://www.hammondorgan.co.uk/xlk_1.htm which should provide everything you need.

Bill

#8657 - 07/10/08 12:51 PM Re: Combo Organ
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, where do you work? I'm in Lexington. Email me when you get a chance!

Russ

#8658 - 08/28/08 12:29 PM Re: Combo Organ
Anonymous
Unregistered

+1 to what abacus said. Having owned clone wheels by both Roland, Korg and others, you should really consider sticking with Hammond. The Nord C1 sounds very good, but there is no possibility of customizing the sound in any way like is possible on the XK3. Now you may say that you don't want to program anything and just want a simple turn it on and play instrument, but here's something to think about. Actually all of the clone wheels sound like a Hammond. Yes some are closer to the real thing than others, but for gigging (possibly excluding an organ focused group) any of them would suffice. So why are there varying opinions on which brand sounds like the real thing? Mostly because of what each person is used to listening to in the way of organ sound. In other words, it is not so accurate for someone to say "that doesn't sound like a Hammond" but would be better stated as "that doesn't sound like my Hammond. So going back to what I said, one of the great things about the XK3 is the flexibility of being able to mimic or clone the idiosyncrasies of any Hammond tone wheel organ in order to make it produce the sound of your favorite Hammond. And the editing is completely user accessible and not all that hard to do. And you will sure be happy to have those capabilities available.

There are other clone wheel instruments popping up as well that are basically a PC running one of several different organ focused soft synth programs that is built into a double manual case with draw bars. As for me, one computer and all of its problems to deal with is enough without having my main instrument susceptible to the same kind of problems.

I have the XK3 Pro System with a Leslie 3300 and am very happy with it. For small gigs where I don't need a double manual organ I just carry the XK3 and use the internal Leslie simulation (which is quite good; I have edited the Leslie parameters to match my old 122). And I have created a custom tone wheel set based on one of the best sounding B3's I have ever heard which is owned by a friend of mine. He regularly rents it to gospel conventions, etc.

FWIW- I am considering upgrading to the newer XK3C and selling my XK3. The only reason is that the XK3C has separate control of the Chorus/Vibrato for each manual where the XK3 has Ch/Vib on or off for both manuals only. Not all that big of a deal but still when I do the left hand bass thing sometimes it is nice to have Chorus on one of the manuals while the other manual remains unaffected. I am in Cincinnati, if you decide on an XK3 and would like to purchase an extremely well cared for used one, feel free to contact me. You can see and hear it in action by clicking the link to my band website below.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 08-28-2008).]

#8659 - 08/28/08 02:10 PM Re: Combo Organ
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hi Dave..good advice..

Dave what is new with you..we haven't heard from you..Email me..Fran

#8660 - 11/07/08 07:21 AM Re: Combo Organ
paracelcus Offline

I've been away from these forums for too long, and would like to first thank everyone's responses - i think i'm going to go for an xk-3. i played around with the nords enough to know that, while they are awesome, they don't quite meet my tastes. i imagine that c1 has a tone like the nords.

WDMcM, i appreciate the offer of your board, but right now i'm not in a position to offer the money to make it worth your time. i need something in payments, which i can't realistically expect you to be comfortable with; however, your advice was spot on.

#8661 - 11/07/08 08:53 AM Re: Combo Organ
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by paracelcus:
I've been away from these forums for too long, and would like to first thank everyone's responses - i think i'm going to go for an xk-3. i played around with the nords enough to know that, while they are awesome, they don't quite meet my tastes. i imagine that c1 has a tone like the nords.

WDMcM, i appreciate the offer of your board, but right now i'm not in a position to offer the money to make it worth your time. i need something in payments, which i can't realistically expect you to be comfortable with; however, your advice was spot on.

Hi,

The Nord models are pretty cool given their size and weight. I really wouldn't mind having one of the 61 key versions for taking to jam sessions, etc. But for me, I am much more comfortable sitting in front of the more familiar drawbar and traditional controls of a Hammond.

I thought I would just offer my XK3 up in case you wanted to save a bit from buying a brand new one. I can't afford the 'C' version at the moment either.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#8662 - 11/11/08 02:45 PM Re: Combo Organ
paracelcus Offline

I never considered the controls until i tried one of the Nords. The digital bars are actually a lot nicer than i thought they would be, but the tactile response of real drawbars has spoiled me.

#8663 - 11/17/08 07:23 PM Re: Combo Organ
zuki Offline

Hi Dave,

Enjoyed your band clip - good stuff.

Jim

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online