SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5295 - 03/10/06 09:44 AM Used Racks
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi all,
Since my tax return will be coming soon, I'm thinking about replacing my JV1080 with a rack module that has more and better Wurlies. The JV/XP line I think lacks in this area. And their best strings patches use a string waveform that your can hear a nasally loop in.

Other than that the JV1080 does a good job. I'd like to keep the price to 400 or less. If I had to pay more I could but it would really have to be something.

I'd really like 128 poly, but really sound quality, not quantity is what I'm looking for. Good piano, excellent wurlies and good strings is about all I really want out of this module.

I've heard and really loved the Kurzwiel PC2 sounds so I'm contemplating the PC2R. I'm also contemplating a used Mo Classic rack (but I already own an ES7 and an S90).

I was orininally very interested in Roland XV5050 and XV3080, but I just read they are based on the JV waveforms so I'm worried about that nasally string waveform (anyone with an XP-6, XP-80, JV1080 and probably others can hear this nasally sound if you bring up patch C-36 I think it is Warm Strings and just play and hold the a note above middle C. Hold it for a second or two and you'll hear the nasally loop).

Anyway if anyone has any ideas for a decent sound module that can play really good EP's, more specifically wurlies, please respond.

Thanks
Bob
<><

#5296 - 03/10/06 10:41 AM Re: Used Racks
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi rw, check out the roland fantom x module, or the yamaha motif es module, both have great piano samples and in particular the yamaha has superb ep's

#5297 - 03/10/06 11:49 AM Re: Used Racks
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I'd give that Kurzweil a try. Will sound different to everything else you have. I hear they work very well multitimbrally too.

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

#5298 - 03/13/06 07:07 AM Re: Used Racks
RW Offline

I checked fantom xr's... too expensive and have more power than I need. If I could afford one, there's no sense in paying for what I won't use.

I think even though I already have the motif engine in both my S90 and my ES7, I may still go with a Motif Classic rack or the PC2R... I'll hopefully be patient and try to land one for no more than 500.

I though about the Emu Vintage Pro.... that rack seems very interesting.

Bob
<><

#5299 - 03/16/06 12:56 PM Re: Used Racks
RW Offline

Going to replace my Roland JV1080 with a Roland XV2020.

Bob
<><

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online