SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4723 - 11/09/02 09:42 PM How do you clean a microphone?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
My industrial band played a mixed genre show including everything from synth pop to hardcore punk. I was in charge of the sound and shit, and I lent my microphone to the cause. Well the dickhead who sang for the hardcore band Death and Taxes stuck MY MIC down his pants, and now it smells funny.

How do I get rid of the smell w/out ruining the mic. I assume water is bad... is there a special alcohol based disinfectant spray or anything?

I hope he didn't give my microphone herpes.

PS. This post is serious. This not a joke/prank or any other type of shenanigans.

#4724 - 11/09/02 10:42 PM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
thats a very sad story.

what kind of mic is it ? cant you just burn it and get a new one ?

#4725 - 11/09/02 10:57 PM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
AKG D2300S, dynamic unidirectional mic... cost me about $50. Since I just blew over $500 at Mars last night (they're having a going out of business sale, got a Korg MS2000R for $400 and a PreSonus Blue Tube mic preamp for $120... the Korg is awesome, but the Blue Tube is pretty weak) I don't really have the cash to burn on a new mic. Besides, it's a nice mic. I'm pretty sure rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs will help, but I want to make sure that's not a no-no for any reason. Or if I can just wash the outer metal grating thingy w/ soap and water, that'd be alot more convenient.

#4726 - 11/10/02 01:07 AM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
does the end unscrew ,My SM58s do and you can wash the foam linig in hot soapy water but not the actual mic capsule some that dont unscrew (like sm57's for instance) have a little circlip thingy which is a bit more difficult but it still can come off .if worst comes to worst and it still stinks you should be able to buy new 'baskets' (just the wire and the foam) cause I had to replace 2 of my AKG 770 instrument mic baskets and they weren't too expensive. Good luck

#4727 - 11/11/02 01:59 AM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
I'm not a man of violence... but the shmuck who done that deserves to have his ass kicked from the highest of heights!

#4728 - 11/14/02 08:34 PM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Neither am I. I'd call Gueeto in for the dirty work. I'd have that Mic up his darker end, ball first of course. I know you're serious. So am I. If you believe in eye for eye tooth for tooth, something need be done to him or his equipment of equal repulsiveness. Too many assholes going around and getting away with shit like that.What was he doing, trying to be sexy to the girls? What a stupid prick. Anyway, after that minor dosage of shock therapy, he will never have a mic near his genetils again, garanteed for sure. If he has anything to say, tell him next time it will be plugged into the wall socket. It might sound harsh, but who was the funny boy that started it all? These days I fight back without fear. The only thing I fear is God.

The capsule (containing the diaphram & coil) is the only sensitive part of a mic. Desolder it with hemostats for a heatsink if the wire is close to the capsule. Dont touch the diaphram whatever you do. Wearing gloves dump the rest after removing any foam in Macays parts cleaner for about 15 min.

#4729 - 11/20/02 09:14 AM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Have that guy pay $50 for it.

If not, throw it and get another one.

#4730 - 11/20/02 06:33 PM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Cloakboy,

Ive learned a long time ago never to let anyone borrow music gear unless it is someone you really know and trust like a close friend(bandmate) or family member. Only about 3 months ago, some dude asked if he could borrow my chorus effects pedal at a recording studio. I was going out to lunch with my bandmate, so I told him to return it to studio A when he was finished. When we came back from lunch, the guy had left with me chorus pedal. The SOB stole it and since he wasnt the one that logged his name for the time, we couldnt track him down.

Yeah, I was partially naive to let him borrow it, but before that I never had a bad experience with fellow musicians. If I were you, I would buy another mic. Maybe you can use the old mic to mic up an amp or a snare or something.

#4731 - 11/21/02 08:47 AM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
danb Offline

Dry clean or steam clean in the nearby cleaner.

#4732 - 12/03/02 07:32 PM Re: How do you clean a microphone?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
If the screen is not removable, use eyeglass cleaner. Do not spray directly on the mic, but on a soft cloth and use it to clean the screen. This really works!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online