SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2357 - 07/15/02 10:19 AM Want recommendation for new synth
Chuffey Offline

I'm an experienced keyboard player, doing R&B, Blues, Country, and Rock. Right now I have a Yamaha P80 which I like, plus a E-Mu Organ Module. I don't do any recording, but I want some new sounds to add to the mix on stage. I've gotten to depend on the transposition button, which doesn't seem to work when I use the organ module. I have to actually play in the other keys, which is harder for me. I love just being able to play in C, and if the band wants to play in D#, no problema. So I've decided that maybe what I should do is sell off the organ module, and just get a weighted key synth, that can do it all, and I can still use the transpose button. All I really want is good piano sounds, good organ sounds, good electric piano sounds, and maybe a few synth sounds. I don't need sequencing, drums, or anything way out. I've always had pretty good luck with Yamaha keys, and I like the way their weighted key action feels. I thought it was the best for all the electric pianos I played. Can anybody give me a recommendation for a synth? What about the Yamaha S80?

#2358 - 07/15/02 11:28 AM Re: Want recommendation for new synth
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Kurzweil K2000.

They are pretty cheap now wih the advent of the K2600. It has transposing buttons on the front of the workstation as well as editing features. It has great piano and organ sounds. And when you get tired of those sounds, you can just load up samples instead of buying a new synth.

#2359 - 07/15/02 11:58 AM Re: Want recommendation for new synth
Chuffey Offline

Does this unit have weighted keys? I'm a keyboard pounder. I have to have something that plays kind of like a real piano.

#2360 - 07/15/02 05:19 PM Re: Want recommendation for new synth
Mistered41 Offline

Have you listened to or tried the Yamaha Motif Workstation? Ed

#2361 - 07/15/02 06:14 PM Re: Want recommendation for new synth
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Chris,

K2000 is too old! even the k2600. The days of its glory has gone. I wonder when will the next synth from Kurzweil come if ever...

Is the company still in business?

#2362 - 07/15/02 08:09 PM Re: Want recommendation for new synth
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
The K2600 is the most current synth and its glory days are far from over. It is true that the K2000 is discontinued though.

I apologize for recommending that synth. I didnt see that you mentioned weighted keys. I should have not skimmed through the post so quickly. However, this might be what you are looking for:
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/html/sp_series.html

#2363 - 08/12/02 08:44 AM Re: Want recommendation for new synth
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sir,
Trust me on this one. Go with a Kurz if you are an experienced player (operator). You will find new joy to be experienced with a fully loaded 2600. The 2500 is also an excellent electronic instrument. If you must use the transposition function, well what can I say... Hira, my teacher is 4 foot something - a little Japanese lady and she would wrestle you with that button to not do so. It also would theoretically disable your ability to play all the scaled modes properly.
It's a Zen thing actually so since this server is located in the western hemisphere, I will shut up any willfully take any beating with honor.
The Kurz WILL provide sufficient patches to modify for a pallettable piano and / or organ sound. As far as some of the effectos, an outboard unit of quality stature is likely to offer increased sound qualities. Nothing is impossible, but it's tough to get a sweet reverb without time invested in great outboard unit that typically costs ugh... REALLY GOOD outboard reverb units are expensive. I wish I couldn't hear the difference because then I could go on vacation twice a year instead of once with the money saved.
MORPH!

PS: A bottle of suntan lotion in Bora Bora is about $35.00, but you can save $20.00 by buying one twice as big for $50.00 if you use it a lot, however, it will not provide a useable reverb effect and I will never tell you that I am not weird.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online