SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3417 - 03/24/02 07:04 PM Equipment decision? Sequencer. GrooveBx or Drum Machine??
SuperGlued Offline

Loc: Portland
Hi, I am butt new to electronic music, but bear with me as I am fairly technically proficient.

First of all, I am using an old Roland U-20 and a cassette tape 4 track. I would really like to get a drum machine, but it seems there are some interesting hybrids out there.

I am trying to decide what "little black box" I should buy (ie. sequencer, groovebox, drum machine.) Can anybody reccomend a good box or combination of boxes that would be appropriate for a newbie? Shoot should I just sell my Roland, save up my dough and get an honest to goodness keyboard workstation such as a Triton or the Karma?

My music interests lie in dark ambient, experimental, techno, industrial, classical.

#3418 - 03/24/02 09:23 PM Re: Equipment decision? Sequencer. GrooveBx or Drum Machine??
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
I'd advise you to get some sort of sampler, or maybe a software sequencer and a softsampler. As for your Roland, it depends on how much you like it. I looked it up and it seemed pretty cheesy, but if you like it and use it, then keep it. With a sampler, you could always sample stuff from your synth and the mess it up real nice.

Personally, I avoid drum machines. I prefer to use sampled drum sounds that I can manipulate to my heart's content.

For experimental, industrial, and dark stuff, out of the box sounds tend to not cut it. DIY is a major part of the industrial and experimental asthetic.

#3419 - 03/24/02 09:29 PM Re: Equipment decision? Sequencer. GrooveBx or Drum Machine??
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Triton is cool, also check out Kurzweil. Stay away from the groove boxes. They are trend synths which only provides a style that is on its way out anyways.

#3420 - 03/25/02 08:37 AM Re: Equipment decision? Sequencer. GrooveBx or Drum Machine??
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Sampler allows the most control over your sound, complete control.
Anything associated with the word "Groove" sucks, they use that word to market to ignorant idiots and DJs.

#3421 - 03/25/02 08:38 AM Re: Equipment decision? Sequencer. GrooveBx or Drum Machine??
tekminus Offline

If you have the kwan, check out the Akai MPC4000. It's a full fledged sampler with drum-machine style pads and built-in sequencer. Also, large screen and the pics I've seen seem to suggest, you can connect it to a monitor.

If I really put my mind to it, there's no limit to what I can't afford.

-tek

#3422 - 03/25/02 02:12 PM Re: Equipment decision? Sequencer. GrooveBx or Drum Machine??
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi SuperGuled,
Have you looked at the "Korg-Karma" , from what I hear they have some pretty cool drum sounds and I think you can add a sampling card.
Welcome to our corner of the web !!
jedi

#3423 - 03/25/02 03:00 PM Re: Equipment decision? Sequencer. GrooveBx or Drum Machine??
SuperGlued Offline

Loc: Portland
Thanks everybody for the great advice. Wow this a responsive board

I think I am going to just save up and buy a workstation. I was eyeing the Karma for a while, but I think maybe the Triton LE or the Standard Triton may be the keyboard I go for. I just need to decide how important sampling is for someone like me...

#3424 - 03/26/02 10:21 AM Re: Equipment decision? Sequencer. GrooveBx or Drum Machine??
tekminus Offline

Quote:
..Wow this a responsive board

Sure o innocent blissfully un-aware one, except on those special weeks, when it grinds to a halt for three days. You'll see.

-tek

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 03-26-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online