SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99902 - 04/08/05 09:06 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:

Frank and I both use Forte Ensemble & Live Synth Pro. I've managed to load a 200mb font without hassles, but I do have some problems once I get to 300mb. I've got a 512mb memory in my laptop.

best wishes
Rikki

If SB Live gives me any more hassles, then I might go the Forte Ensemble/Live synth route or maybe buy and Audigy card.
The card with SYnergisGS was working fine 2 weeks ago. Arrrrr.
Starkeeper

#99903 - 04/08/05 03:16 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Starkeeper,
you may want to check first and see how large a font the Audigy card will allow you to load or you may be back where you started from?
I'm using
Forte Ensemble ( Demo Available )
Live Synth Pro
Midi Yoke ( Free )
ASIO4All ( Free )
on my laptop, and it all works well.
As I mentioned earlier my laptop has 512mb memory and is reasonably fast.

Both setups appear to have their pro's & cons.
Using a card like the SBLive appears to be easier to set up but has limitations for the size of the font you can use.

The setup I now use ( which Frank suggested)was difficult to set up ( for a computer illiterate like me) but now that I've got it up and running, I haven't looked back . it's great)

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Quote:
[b]

If SB Live gives me any more hassles, then I might go the Forte Ensemble/Live synth route or maybe buy and Audigy card.
The card with SYnergisGS was working fine 2 weeks ago. Arrrrr.
Starkeeper[/B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99904 - 04/11/05 08:05 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

1) It was a Y connector that was causing the problem. Phew!!! As soon as I removed it, I got the high quality sound back.
2) At the moment the 10meg empty file is not causing a problem, but I would like to free this up. Anyone know if I can contact the Creative company or if there is a Soundblaster forum that might have a clue as to what's going on.
3) OMB plays the right voice every time I press the left chord!!! The left voice comes in on channel 11 and the right voice on channel 4. I have also setup the split at C3. I tested sending everything on channel 4 and it still plays the left voice. Any ideas? At the moment, I am using the lead voices from the Roland, so I turn the melody voice, in the mixer, completely down. When I try to play voice in the right hand from the computer, then I get the voices playing in the left hand.
Starkeeper

Rikki,
You don't sound computer illiterate to me. That is a complicated setup.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 04-11-2005).]

#99905 - 04/11/05 08:10 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
this is the setup I use when playing in split full fingered mode.
Clavinova for lead melody, fonts for styles.
First I turn Clavinova to Local Off ie I don't hear any sounds when I press keys.

OMB Settings
Chord Fingering " Full Fingered "
Midi In: USB ( not sure what your setting would be as you possibly use a serial interface to connect keyboard to computer?? so maybea CBX driver or something.)

Midi out
Midi Channels 1 to 4 : mine set to USB
( you'd have to set yours to whatever your set up is)
Default melody channels in OMB are 1 to 4.

Midi Channels 5 to 16 mine is set to Midi Yoke
( you'd use your sblive card setting.)

Next on the main Voices page OMB :
Voices 1 to 4 , make sure that you enable
the ones you want to use. You can have up to 4 voices at one time. If you just want right hand melody, make sure the others are set to off.

Hopefully this may work for you.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99906 - 04/13/05 02:51 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Thanks for replying Rikki. I have two scenarios:
1) Playing the accompaniment from my computer using SynergerGS and lead voices from my Roland. This setup would be similar to yours. I am playing my Roland live. I will try setting local off and triggering the melody from MIDI channels 1 to 4. This sounds like it will work. Appreciate your help. Will try this on the weekend and let you know.
2) When I get some good quality lead voices, I will not be using my Roland's voices. So everything will come from the soundcard. When I do this, the selected right hand melody voice plays in the left hand chord. When I set this up my MIDI output ports look very similar to this : http://www.1manband.nl/tutorials2/setting.htm.
All the output channels are set to the SB live synth card.
Starkeeper

#99907 - 04/13/05 03:33 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Musikman4Christ Offline

Loc: USA
BluesPlayer,

I have an ES7, and its working fine with OMB 7.1.
I have had the same problem that you mention where you get a hickup after the variations. Like it never returns perfectly in sync. But its not the ES. ITs actually the fact that too much midi commands or something is being sent to it, so it cant process it fast enough before you get back to what ever variation you wanna go back to.

This is exactly what happened to me in one of a Korg styles called Tejano. Actually, Rikki, im the guy that you fixed that style for. It had so much stuff in it, that that was the culprit for me getting those sync and hickups issues. Once Rikki fixed it for me, and I got it back and played it, it worked like a dream. All I had to do is adjust my volume levels, I could even choose any of the drum kits in the ES presets. One thing that really helps with the ES is that most if not all of the drumkits follow the GM standard setup, so the sounds sound right.

Im still learning though, but I make sure that I use the ES in SONG MODE. ThaT way I can go track by track and change the instruments to which ever preset ES instruments I want to use. THe only bummer so far, is that somehow the Mega voices dont sound right while using them with OMB. I dont know how to make them sound right. But the other sounds sound so nice that its ok. So far im getting good results, but I have yet to learn to do exactly what Rikki did. And she said it was all done in OMB. So I know it can be done.

regards,

Musikman

Musikman
Email:
Musikman4Christ@yahoo.com

#99908 - 04/13/05 05:55 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rikki,
It appears that you are doing what I would like to, use soundfonts on my laptop. I have been playing with soundfonts on my desktop machine and they work well but I am traveling all the time for work and only have a notebook to use. Is there an inexpensive (free is even better) VST sequencer that will work with my Cubase SE and play my midi using my favorite soundfonts? I am currently using an Alesis Nanosynth on the road and it works but not as well as my favorite soundfonts. Thanks for any assistance.
Gary

Quote:
Hi Starkeeper,
you may want to check first and see how large a font the Audigy card will allow you to load or you may be back where you started from?
I'm using
Forte Ensemble ( Demo Available )
Live Synth Pro
Midi Yoke ( Free )
ASIO4All ( Free )
on my laptop, and it all works well.
As I mentioned earlier my laptop has 512mb memory and is reasonably fast.

Both setups appear to have their pro's & cons.
Using a card like the SBLive appears to be easier to set up but has limitations for the size of the font you can use.

The setup I now use ( which Frank suggested)was difficult to set up ( for a computer illiterate like me) but now that I've got it up and running, I haven't looked back . it's great)

best wishes
Rikki

#99909 - 04/13/05 09:20 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
how do you connect your Roland to your computer( usb?serial?midi) and what do you see with the midi in/out dropdown menu
ie sblive midiuart plus anything else??

May have found a way for you to listen to some larger fonts. Unfortunately will only work with midifiles. I'm going to use it for testing my sounds ie play a piano midifile & see which of the piano's sounds best etc etc ( by the way , I found a soundfont of my CLP170 Grand Piano sound, 120 mbs, ( free) sounds nearly as good as the real thing when played via my piano's sound system).

The program's called Synthfont (free, but you can donate) http://www.synthfont.com/
Simple as Open ( locate your midifile)
Then under "setup"
use "options"
Default Soundfont File
press the green icon and locate your soundfonts.
Then basically press play. It doesn't use your sblive card for playing the fonts, so you're not as restricted . It played my 200mb soundfont without any problems. ( I do have 512mb memory in my laptop, not sure what you've got?).
I've been checking out some other freebie software as well, may yet be able to find a way of connecting omb to fonts for free without a font compatible soundcard
(like sb live , audigy etc).
My setup's great as is, but it would be interesting to see if it could all be done for free ( except for omb, that is).

best wishes
Rikki

p.s. I couldn't get your link to work
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99910 - 04/13/05 09:31 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Gary,
maybe Synthfont that I mentioned to Starkeeper may be of some use to you?
I've only just started to play around with it a bit ie I know how to load a midifile & font, but that's about it.
It's a midifile player that can use soundfonts without a font compatible soundcard.
I'm also checking out some other software ( freebies) but haven't had a chance to get it up and running yet.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaumaugher:
[B]Rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99911 - 04/13/05 09:48 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Musikman,
I remember. I think I was in the middle of packing to move to a new home ( must be nearly 5 months ago).
Are you still using korg to psr converted styles? If you're still interested in OMB style editing functions, and how to simplify those styles. I'd be happy to help out.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Musikman4Christ:
[B]BluesPlayer,

Actually, Rikki, im the guy that you fixed that style for.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online