SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#99715 - 08/26/01 12:19 AM Re: Has the X1 aged that much ???
DannyUK Offline

I would like to say thanks to everybody whos replied to this thread on this subject...

again, i will reitirate that i am happy with my X1. I can also relate to a few people here who have performed with an X1 and impressed people with its performance. Ive recorded songs on my X1 a while back and the results were great, i like the sequencer in this keyboard. The quality of the styles do make a difference as well.

On another note though, i can also relate to peoples frustration with the X1's problems and dont forget ive had my fair share too! the very senior people here will know what problems ive had with mine when i first got it, but im on my 3rd X1 (albeit its lasted me over a year without problems), but the first 2 were dire, utterly unusable, things failing such as the HD and the display as well as a 'fade out' right speaker at times. I think it must be something to do with the earlyer models though.

I know that people may dislike threads that pits keyboards against each other, but i tell you these are valuable threads because not only do you get to learn more about these keyboards (especially if you have never seen one of them), if any lurkers are about such as Yamaha or Solton reps then of course they can take note of our concerns.

Out of every keyboard ive ever heard and played, there is something i would love to take from each one to create my perfect keyboard. Its never going to happen so its just down to which single keyboard has the most things which suit your needs. This is something that i must believe in otherwise i could change keyboards every 5 minutes!! its easily done.. Ive never really been totally dissapointed with any of my keyboards (even if the WK8 did at first, i soon made it play nicely to me!!), but its just when i hear a new keyboards i want it over the one i have.!! But thankfully since getting the X1 ive stuck with it.

One thing i have definately learnt over the years is that the lifespan of a keyboard is surely judged by its sounds more than anything else. I know someone who still uses a KorgM1 !!! they are happy with it and why not.. I think that apart from features, comfort usage, weight and amplification, if your requirememnt is heavily dependant on the styles then your more often than not going to change keyboards before their time. Styles dont last forever, and i remember certainly with the earlyer Yamaha models that the styles were just to familiar and was looking to change keyboards far too quickly. I was so annoyed when i changed from the PSR510 to the PSR520, they were nearly identical really. Thank goodness that nowadays you have the option to edit and create your own styles - if you have the time that is!

Best Regards,
Danny

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 08-26-2001).]

#99716 - 08/27/01 01:59 AM Re: Has the X1 aged that much ???
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Good point Danny - styles don't last forever.
HOWEVER .....
(didn't cha know there would be a catch???? )
I play mostly "Classic" and "Standard" tunes that will never need a new style, because they are burned into peoples' memory the way they were recorded. With mostly million sellars in my repertoire - my styles (drum patterns) only really need to cover the basics. I can embellish the rest with my own thoughts. A few years ago, while I was still using dedicated drum machines, I discovered that I could play most nights with only 10 patterns or so. I'd rather have more variation than that, but hey - a Cha Cha is a Cha Cha, is a Cha Cha. Dancers don't want experimentation - they want "foundation".
Early Roland E series users will remember the "Easy 8" card for the E-20,RA-50 line - that was essential to a dance party. Almost all the basics were covered with those 8 simple beats....
1)8beat (rock and ballads)
2)16beat(same, but with a busy feel)
3)Disco (nuff said - great for Motown too)
4)Shuffle (can't jitterbug without it!)
5)Swing (for the jazz fans - finger poppin!)
6)Latin(simple Bossa pattern - classic)
7)Waltz (3/4 is used in EVERY genre)
8)2beat(Polka's,Bluegrass, Marches

I can't remember if the classic R&B 12/8 pattern was in there or not. I couldn't do a night without it, that's for sure - all those 50's ballads, and love songs....aah!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online