SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 24 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24 >
Topic Options
#99173 - 03/16/06 04:06 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
[B] It probably wasn't even connected, being out there in the middle of that stage. Or else the soundman mixed him out. And I can't imagine why.

It was wired up, you could see some cords coming down from the keyboard. And while Ryan was standing next to him after the song, Stevie hit a chord on the board, you could hear it but just barely so obviously his playing wasn't the "main attraction". And I agree, I can't imagine why either.

#99174 - 03/16/06 04:34 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ ... you're most welcome ...I'm so glad I posted that for you ... yes, Moody is one of the greats ... Going to the Newport Jazz Festival has not been as great the past few years, and I've realized why ... most of the GREATS I grew up listening to are either dead or too old to gig ... I was fortunate to see Mulligan the summer before he died ...
Just know you're not alone my friend ...
t.

#99175 - 03/16/06 04:37 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
tony mads usa Offline

Back to 'Idol" and Stevie ... that was quite a plug for Yamaha and the Motif ... I tried 'straining' my ears as I watched his hands and could hear a chord now and then ... the board was probably more for him than us ...
t.

#99176 - 03/16/06 07:17 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Captain Russ, just realize this. There are very few people on this planet, on a percentage basis that love music as much as I do. But do I like jazz? Nope. In general, not at all. Give me 15 minutes, I'm done. Do I respect their musicianship. Heck yeah. I do. But want to listen more than 15 minutes? Nope. Others do, so, it lives on.

But among the masses, jazz, as other genres, have limited appeal. I think I have a far more sophisticated ear than most, but jazz just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't lessen James Moody's virtuousity.

As for country, Conway was okay but a genius was Hank Williams. There's the REAL deal. Is three chords and the truth a copout? It's genius when you write as he did. Plus, some of his stuff was more than three chords and the truth.

BTW, I, personally find it harder to write a really good song with just three chords than four or five. For whatever that is worth. Which is probably nothing.

I like some jazz but not much.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#99177 - 03/16/06 07:54 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Of all the country writers I've always admired Glenn Campbell's songs. Some are quite difficult for me to play, but I love them just the same. As for Jazz--not for me either. Some folks like, some don't.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#99178 - 03/16/06 08:58 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanS:

Did anyone notice what Stevie was playing last night? A Motif8, how awesome is that. You couldn't really hear it though because the band was totally drowning out the sound.

Watching his hands on a close up shot ....
I dont believe he was even playing on that song at all....just movin his fingers around... sought of finger syncing it.

#99179 - 03/17/06 03:46 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Of all the country writers I've always admired Glenn Campbell's songs. Some are quite difficult for me to play, but I love them just the same.

You can thank one Jimmy Webb for that. GC didn't write any of that. I have noticed that Jimmy Webb's early songs (the Glenn stuff) are among the most revered country songs of all times among musicians who don't even like much country.

But here's a case in point: Recently, on another forum, we were discussing Webb's writing. Someone said something like "If you like 'Galveston,' you should hear JIMMY'S version of it." I downloaded it. The first minute, I thought "Wow, this is fantastic, this is the gorgeous." Then, before the end of the song, I didn't even listen to the rest of it.

He started out so nice but then took that beautiful song and threw in a million chords and just ruined it for me. Which is what jazz does for me. It's too busy. Not slamming jazz, just saying it's too busy for me. I do love some songs with more complex arrangements but it can get to a point where there are TOO many chords.

Back to Stevie Wonder. Just a few years ago, when I actually started playing keys, I was transcribing many songs. I transcribed "For Once In My Life" (I think that's the title). It took me a bit but after I did it, I felt proud! It's nothing for you guys but for me, it was an achievement to nail that (for me, more complex) arrangement. Then, I slowed it way down to a slow song. Very pretty song.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#99180 - 03/17/06 05:16 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
tony mads usa Offline

... second song from the bottom ... take a listen ... http://www.emusic.com/album/10895/10895666.html

t.

#99181 - 03/17/06 05:31 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bill (Semilivemusic), your honesty is refreshing. I can much more easily relate to someone explaining WHY they can't warm up to a particular genre' than just blatantly slamming it. I love Jazz (modern) and (some) Blues and admit that I have a difficult time warming up to most Country music and Country artists. One exception is Willie Nelson who, for some inexplicable reason, I absolutely love. Maybe it has something to do with his history as one of the great writers of some of the best R&B tunes of the 50's and 60's (this was during his lean years). Liking or disliking one genre' or another has a lot to do with one's culture and early musical influences. I grew up in a household where mostly Jazz was played; Ellington, Basie, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, etc. As a young person, my college years were filled with Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans, MJQ, Bird, Horace Silver, Cannonball Adderly, etc. Classical piano since age 5 along with having to learn all the hip charts (if you wanted to gig with the big boys) gave me a profound appreciation for the beauty and melodic and harmonic complexity of Jazz (from Dixieland to Don Cherry and Archie Shepp). I realize that Jazz is not for everybody; it demands a lot from the listener and sometimes you just want to see the Three Stooges instead of The English Patient. Nothing wrong with that. Mindless entertainment is a good thing, but after awhile I need to get back to something with some substance. As an African-American (I actually prefer Black), I admit to a certin bias against Country music because of it's strong symbolism. For me, it's more a visceral thing, like seeing a rebel flag. I know that there is quality Country music out there, just as there is quality music within every genre'. So I say, rather than hating one type of music, whether Rap or Classical, let's embrace the diversity of music that makes this board, this country, this world, such an awesome place for music lovers of every stripe.

Peace,

chas

#99182 - 03/17/06 07:23 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, what Bill said.
If you try to make a living playing music, you have to do what the audience likes.
I actually do a few jazz songs. The audience just sits there and talks to one another. In general, they want to hear songs for which they know the words and can hum along if they wish, and that they can dance to. Jazz buffs are are very small minority.
There are good songs in all genres, just as there are good people of all religions and races. Like Bill, I can listen to 15 minutes of jazz, and maybe 30 of Blues, and they all start sounding the same.
As far as Country, there is slow country, sappy country, fast country, complicated country and simple country. I don't want to hear 3 hours of any one thing. Listen to a few songs from Asleep At The Wheel and you'll find elements of jazz, blues, swing AND country. Maybe the problem is that we have too many labels???
Good discussion anyway, even though I don't watch Idol.
DonM

Page 6 of 24 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online