SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98441 - 08/24/07 02:29 PM I just got a PSR-S900 that works
Beakybird Offline

I just got a PSR-S900 that works! I haven't gigged with it yet, but the data select wheel works, all of the buttons seem to do what they're supposed to do, etc.

I ordered two PSR-S900s. And Sweetwater told me that they'll take back the first defective one I got over a month ago that I put a couple of scratches on, because Steve Demming told me that Yamaha would take it back.

I want to thank Steve at Yamaha. That was a very kind gesture on his part. I'm very sorry for returning a keyboard that I scratched.

I guess he thought that I deserved a break having received two faulty ones.

Joe Martell at Sweetwater was very helpful, and he told me that when they get their next shipment, they'll test it and send me another one.

Joe Martell told me that he heard that the technicians at Sweetwater started testing the S900's before they shipped them out (after they heard about my bad experience with two keyboards), and they ran across another one that had similar problems to the ones I have described.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I have my fingers crossed that this baby lasts until the next model comes out.

Beakybird

#98442 - 08/24/07 03:29 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Beakybird,

I'm glad to hear that things have been cleared up for you, and you can begin to really enjoy your S900.

I'm tickled with mine...best keyboard I've ever owned.

All the best,

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#98443 - 08/24/07 05:54 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
casiobot Offline

Is the PSR-S900 supposed to be the successor to the 3k?
And if so,would it kind of be like a "Baby" Tyros/Tyros 2?

#98444 - 08/24/07 06:01 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I wouldn't go so far to say the S900 is a mini Tyros2, but it is a great keyboard based on it's own merits.

It does have many of the fine SA voices of the Tyros2, but it doesn't have the same keyboard/keybed so it doesn't have aftertouch.

I have a PSR-3000 as well, and I think the S900 is a substantial upgrade from the 3k, although others may have different opinions.

The audio to USB device on the S900 is a great feature, and the S900 is actually less expensive than the 3k was when it was introduced.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#98445 - 08/24/07 06:39 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
zuki Offline

Great news Beaky. I still am considering the S900. It's the logical choice for me, as I continue to be extremely pleased with my 3K. I worked 3 jobs today and 4 more hours tomorrow. My 3rd job today landed me 7 more in 2008 with a $10 raise The 3K just keeps on ticking and the audience loves the sound.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#98446 - 08/24/07 07:22 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
Beakybird Offline

Zuki, that's great that you are doing so many shows! I average about 10-11 a week, so IMO you are really kicking butt.

How many miles do you put on your car?

I'm really happy that this keyboard is working - apparently. I have gotten used to living without the Data Select Wheel.

Zuki, the PSR-S900 would be right up your alley. Your registrations will load from the PSR3000. Everything is very similar. My only worry is that you would become so much in demand with the great sounds you're making that you will work yourself to death.

One feature that I'm really getting into is something Scott Yee turned me onto.

You can load a text file and save it as part of a registration. The text file can have lyrics, chords, and notes. I am doing away with the notebook of lyrics I had. Everything I need is on my USB. If I'm playing a song and I don't have the lyrics or chords down, I can press the Lyrics/Text button and it comes on the screen!

Tomorrow is my first gig with this new S900. If there's a problem, you will be hearing from me.

Beakybird

#98447 - 08/24/07 07:49 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
zuki Offline

Hi Beaky,

You and Ian and a few others definitely have me excited about the S. I am meticulous and have all my songs loaded with custom ots, etc, mixes - you name it. I've put many hours into EACH song. To know that info is easily transferrable is great! The text feature would be very useful for me also.

Miles? I have some long days where I do 150 - 200, but then some just around my local Cincy area.

Ironically, I just signed on as an agent for a major chemical company I once was an employee for and am in process of moving future (2008) bookings to evenings and weekends only. That said, I still have over 30 jobs per month to play under these new hours

My plan is to work the chemical field again for 7 years, play 350 music jobs and then see how it goes after that.

With this new agent position, I can afford to really get the toys I want.

I will be listing my 3K and E-600 next week.

Glad you're doing good too. I'd love to see you perform sometime

Regards,
zuki

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 08-24-2007).]

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 08-24-2007).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#98448 - 08/24/07 08:51 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:

One feature that I'm really getting into is something Scott Yee turned me onto:

You can load a text file and save it as part of a registration. The text file can have lyrics, chords, and notes. I am doing away with the notebook of lyrics I had. Everything I need is on my USB. If I'm playing a song and I don't have the lyrics or chords down, I can press the Lyrics/Text button and it comes on the screen!

Lar, great to hear you're enjoying the new S900 text file (lyrics and/or chords) display feature. I don't know what I'd do w/o it on my Tyros2, and imo, a WORTHWHILE reason PSR3000 owners to seriously consider upgrading to the S900. I have hundreds of lyrics links to registration banks full of songs, which make playing 'on the fly' going moving song to song & reg bank to reg bank seamless with the lyrics/chords appearing automatically when it's associated reg selected, and with no laptop screen or music display device to come between you and your audience.

Reason number 2 is the S900's support of a: USB stick for storage. This allows you to store EVERYTHING (all files), and I mean ALL files (REG, utilized styles, custom voices, multi pad files, and text lyric files, eff setup files, etc) you utilize for a song on the stick. Not only do I recommend storing all these files on the stick, but make sure they are called up (via REG) "FROM" the stick as well. This way you are able to insert the USB stick into ANY other Yamaha S900, S700, S500, and perhaps even Tyros2, and be able to perform with very little (or no) setup work. This means if you have a gig across the Country, and your client(s) have a S900 keyboard for you to play, all you need to do is slip the USB stick into your pocket, hop on a plane, and you're all set to go. I'm confident that you and Zuki too will grow to continually appreciate this feature.

Scott

#98449 - 08/24/07 09:22 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
casiobot Offline

Not to hijack the thread or anything like that,but what kind of sequencing does the PSR-S900 rely on?
And when I say sequencing I mean building something from total scratch w/o auto-accompaniment(though that wouldn't necessarily be ruled out either.)

Do Yamaha keyboards deserve their rep and their price tag? I mean the Tyros 2 costs a *fortune*!

Does anyone know if an online manual is available yet or is it still too new?

Thanks for your continued input!

[This message has been edited by casiobot (edited 08-24-2007).]

[This message has been edited by casiobot (edited 08-30-2007).]

#98450 - 08/24/07 09:40 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi casiobot

For the way I like to use an arranger keyboard, to me, the Tyros 2 could easily cost more than it does and it would be well worth it. It is a thrill to play every time I sit down and the audience reaction to what I can do with it is very positive. There are occasions when I perform, I don't sing BTW, and a crowd will gather around me to see what I'm doing. It is one super keyboard. Amen.

#98451 - 08/24/07 09:44 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Beakybird

I'm glad to hear you've got one that works. I can imagine how much you will enjoy it now and am looking forward to trying one out myself.

You mentioned about the text and lyrics in the window which I knew about, but doesn't do me much good, I experimented putting lead sheet type info on the screen last year but couldn't quite master it.

You mentioned notes, do you mean musical notes, or notes written to yourself as in words? If if is musical notes as in lead sheets, I'd like to know how to do that one

Scott

#98452 - 08/24/07 10:05 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
casiobot Offline

Hi Scott!

My bad-here's a link to the manual:
http://music.yamaha.com/products/main.html?productId=1245

Under "support".

I'll explain my needs more thoroughly later on!

Have a good friday night!

#98453 - 08/24/07 10:21 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
do you mean musical notes, or notes written to yourself as in words?

Hi Scott. I think I can answer for Beaky because he and I had discussed this very thing. Beaky was referring to noting 'in text': the key of the song, plus other things to remember re the way to play the song.

It's not possible to import an image file (lead sheet or otherwise) into a text (.txt) file. That said, it IS POSSIBLE with Tyros2, to load a .BMP file of a lead sheet, and have it display as a background image on the Tyros2 LCD screen. Unfortunately, this can't be saved to be automatically called up via registration like a txt file can, and the lead sheet (with notes & staff) might be a bit difficult to easily read on the T2's screen. - Scott

#98454 - 08/24/07 10:28 PM Re: I just got a PSR-S900 that works
Scott Langholff Offline

HI Scott

That's about what I thought, but I thought it would be good to clarify the info a bit.

What I'm talking about would be a super feature. Maybe I should put it on the wish list to Yamaha for the T2 replacement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online