SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95944 - 10/28/03 09:58 AM Recording to mp3 with vocals?
Philip1 Offline

Loc: Jerusalem, Israel
Hi everyone,

I'm kinda new to computer recording and stuff like that. I'd like to record some songs while singing, on my 2100. Can I do that with just my usb connection? Or do I have to first record it to an audio tape with my stereo, record it to my computer, and switch it to mp3?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Philip

#95945 - 10/28/03 10:47 AM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
Dnj Offline

You can record your KB directly via your stereo line outs to your PC sound card on to a program like Acid Pro 4, or so many others some are FREE.......

This Lesson by Gary Diamond on the PSR tutorial site will help you do that:
http://www.psrtutorial.com/Lessons/L_Recording/LPR-MakeCD/lpr-makecd.htm

#95946 - 10/28/03 10:58 AM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
Philip1 Offline

Thanks,that's exactly what I was looking for!

Only problem, I'm using a laptop which doesn't have a line-in. Would it work if I used the mic jack instead?

Philip

#95947 - 10/28/03 11:49 AM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
A Mic Input will not have an acceptable amount of Gain to be able to record to. Phillip if you are serious about recording songs then converting them into MP3's and putting them onto CD, etc. you will most likely need a PC Desktop computer. Either that or buy a Digital Workstation Studio like several Manufacturers offer such as Yamaha, Korg and Roland. Desktop Computers are so cheap (price wise) that you would be killing two birds with one stone (sorry PETA) and even more by buying a Desktop Computer because of other cool features you get with a PC. If you have the dough you may even consider a Mac.

Dell makes great PC's and their dirt cheap too. If you decide to get a PC; get one with a CD-RW Drive AND a CD-ROM/DVD/DVD-RW Drive both. In other words a CD-ROM OR a DVD OR a DVD-RW OR even a Combo Drive. The reason being is it will give you the ability to 'Copy' CD to CD if needed without as much hassle. After you get the PC you will need other Hardware too like preferably a Mixer, quality Studio Cabling, a Professional Sound Card, and of course a Multi-Track recording software program. There are other programs on the internet that are free such as Ripping software and Conversion software to turn the .Wav files into MP3 files, etc.

If you do decide to go the PC route any questions you may have about setting up your Recording Studio and linking it to the PC, etc., will be gladly answered by fellow Members here at SZ.

Best regards,
Mike

#95948 - 10/28/03 11:55 AM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I just noticed on your profile Philip1 that you are a Student. So all my advice I gave to you is now directed at your Parents.

Maybe they could help you out on the purchase[s] if and when you decide to buy a PC, etc.

Best regards,
Mike

#95949 - 10/28/03 12:37 PM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
Dnj Offline

I have to disagree.....Fran, and myself and others have made some very good quality recordings to MP3/CD/Wav thru a Laptop Mic Line in with no problems what so ever...using ACID Pro3/4.
Many of my website demos were done this way also, it works fine and is inexpensive.

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#95950 - 10/28/03 01:28 PM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
trtjazz Offline

And now for yet another opinion....if you want to use a laptop for recording that is not a problem....IMO the mic line in is, uh well let's just say the real way one should go about it it to buy a USB interface like the M Audio Duo,Quattro or Edirol or one of the other interfaces to interface into the laptop. http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/USBaudio.php
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-28-2003).]

#95951 - 10/28/03 02:00 PM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
Dnj Offline

Terry,

I'll agree of course you can add & add on, but Philip stated he is a beginner and I predict he will learn along the way what is best for his style. Starting out basicly and inexpensivly, learning along the way reaps its benefits up the recording road.

#95952 - 10/28/03 05:10 PM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Phillip,

As you have probably no doubt discovered, there are lots of folks on this forum that record using some very ingenious, and often expensive techniques. However, as you have also discovered, you can record vocals and keyboard MP3s and get excellent quality without spending lots of money on equipment.

Essentially, you already have everything you need. As for the laptop, some of the newer models come with a single input that is multi-purpose. Merely double click on the small speaker icon on the lower right side of your screen, then select OPTIONS, next select RECORDING, then put a check in the Select box under LINE IN. This will automatically change that mic input to a line input within the computer's sound card. Then follow the directions at the www.psrtutorial.com site for recording a CD. The CD can then be converted into an MP3 file and you'll be amazed at the results.

Enjoy your new keyboard and post some of the songs when you're finished recording them. Everyone here is also a critic as well.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#95953 - 10/28/03 11:33 PM Re: Recording to mp3 with vocals?
Philip1 Offline

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Mike, I might be a student, but I'm 29 and have four kids :-). I'm a RABBINICAL student .

Gary, my laptop unfortunately doesn't have that line in box. (When I choose recording, however, I do get a checkbox that says "wave out mix". Not sure what that is or what it has to do with recording...)

So it looks like I will be trying Dnj's method first. Now, my mic settings have an advanced tab. When clicking on it, I get two checkboxes. The first says "+20 db gain", and the second says "Mic2 select". Can anyone help this novice understand these things? The help doc is, of course, unhelpful.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

P.S: Gary, I'd love you to listen to my songs. Just a little detail; They're all in Hebrew :-).

[This message has been edited by Philip1 (edited 10-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Philip1 (edited 10-29-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online