SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95089 - 05/19/07 06:43 AM George Kaye????
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
George!

You mentioned something in your post about newer keyboards from Yamaha that has really caught my attention. This new MP-30 sounds very interesting. A 76er with semi-weighted keys for a MAP of $299.00 (quite nice!).

Do you know if this model has "midi jacks"? 76 semi-weighted keys for $299 (even if the thing didn't have one sound built into it), at that price and with those semi-weighted keys this unit will spark the interest of those looking for a nice affordable "midi controller"... (like myself)

please tell me Yamaha didn't cheese out on midi jacks with this model.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#95090 - 05/19/07 07:02 AM Re: George Kaye????
squeak_D Offline

Ya, know I'm actually gonna take a shot in the dark here and "assume" this model does not have midi jacks. I say that based on Yammies recent design decisions on some of their other models.

Yamaha seems to want to keep a really HUGE gap between some of their models. If this unit had midi jacks I'd imagine Yammie would consider it would hurt the sales of the CP-33. Even though the price difference between the two models is $1,000 They dropped midi jacks on the YPG models so taking that into consideration this feature might not be included on this new model either--my assumption though.

Still keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully it has them because if it does I'll buy the MP-30 just for the semi-weighted keys alone to use as a midi controller. The pianos would be an added bonus

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-19-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#95091 - 05/19/07 07:30 AM Re: George Kaye????
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
These are the specs I was sent...and it's called the Yamaha NP-30

76 note box-style "graded touch" keyboard
10 voices
Reverb
Dual voice
Metronome
MIDI
6w x 2 amplification
Available in black or silver

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#95092 - 05/19/07 07:34 AM Re: George Kaye????
squeak_D Offline

OHHHHHH now I'm getting more interested... Hopefully that "midi" in the specs is midi jacks and not just USB.

I said MP-30 as that was what George called it Man this beast better have midi jacks. For $299 with graded touch box style keys (and as George stated semi-weighted), this would make a great 76 key controller.

I need more expressive keys and NOW! I love my Roland RS-70, and have tweeked some really great and expressive pianos, but the expression just goes down the crapper when you use synth action keys.

The only other 88 key affordable semi-weighted midi controller out there is that $199 M-Audio, but boy there are some horror stories about that model.. I was able to check one out, and the key action felt really nice (although I think M-Audio doesn't quite understand what semi-weighted really means--however the action was good, but I would really place it somewhere between synth action and semi-weighted). The major downside is M-Audio has some serious quality control issues with this model.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-19-2007).]

#95093 - 05/19/07 07:43 AM Re: George Kaye????
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It said MIDI in and out, so I imagine that means there are ports...haven't seen one yet...perhaps George knows more.

Yamaha Canada is closed for the long weekend so I can't reach anybody.

The board is still pretty wide because they put the speakers where the keys would be if it was an 88 note....

Also, there are no pitch/mod wheels or pedal options, other than sustain.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-19-2007).]

#95094 - 05/19/07 07:46 AM Re: George Kaye????
squeak_D Offline

The length wouldn't bother me a bit. I don't perform anymore, and the unit would sit right under my Roland RS-70 on a two tier keyboard stand. Now that you say seeing "midi in and out" Ohhhh yeah baby.., I feel a change of underpants coming very soon Keeping those fingers crossed. If it has full midi jacks I will def buy it. Thanks for the info Ian.

#95095 - 05/19/07 08:54 AM Re: George Kaye????
ocomain Offline

Squeak, as a previous poster stated, the model designation is the NP-30 (there is no MP-30, George probably hit the wrong key as he typed)...and it will come in 2 different colors (black or silver) and 2 different versions (with speakers and without speakers). For the money, this looks like it will definitely be a winner!

"Yamaha NP 30 Contemporary Digital Piano

The NP-30 provides everything you need and nothing that you don't.

The new NP30 Contemporary Digital Piano represents an entirely new class of Yamaha digital pianos. Designed to offer quality, value and portability with a lighter touch, the NP30 includes 76 Graded Touch piano-style keys and stereo-sampled piano voices. Additional features include 10 quality voices like Pianos, Organs, and Strings plus 32 notes of polyphony and ten recordings of standard piano repertoire.

The NP30 offers Yamaha's first-ever Graded Touch semi-weighed key action. While the touch is lighter than the Graded Hammer Standard and Graded Hammer Effect actions of the more robust digital piano models, Graded Touch provides medium resistance in the left hand that gets lighter as you move up the keyboard allowing faster passages with your right hand. For lower-impact playing, this semi-weighted action is also ideal for aspiring pianists who suffer from arthritis or repetitive stress disorders. What's more, the physical aspects of the Graded Touch action help bring the overall weight of the NP30 to 28 pounds, even lower than the P70, previously Yamaha's lightest digital piano."

"Many entry-level portable keyboard customers are looking for a low-cost alternative to an acoustic piano," said Dane Madsen, marketing manager, Digital Pianos, Yamaha Pro Audio & Combo Division. "If price or level of ability is keeping them from spending too much on a fully-weighted action instrument, the NP30 is just what the doctor ordered."

"The NP30 can also perform as a basic home-studio MIDI controller with a top-notch piano sound. When capturing note and performance data with a quality tone generator is desired, but bells and whistles don't fit into the budget, the NP30 provides everything you need and nothing that you don't."

Cheers!

Michael

#95096 - 05/19/07 09:29 AM Re: George Kaye????
Dnj Offline

#95097 - 05/19/07 11:12 AM Re: George Kaye????
squeak_D Offline

Sweeeeeeeeet! Finally, an affordable semi-weighted "controller" from Yamaha... I see the included piano sounds as an added bonus. I also think this one will be a big seller for them. Anyone know when the release date will be here in the USA?

#95098 - 05/19/07 11:26 AM Re: George Kaye????
ocomain Offline

The NP30 is scheduled to ship in July 2007.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online