SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#94750 - 02/11/06 03:53 PM Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

Synthzone Friends!

Here's my latest Tyros2 keyboard & vocal rendition of the classic 70's Eagles (rock-country) tune: "Lyin' Eyes".

It's in Windows Media (.wma) format and playable via Windows Media Player.

To listen: Scott Yee Entertainment
Go to: "Song Demos" page.
"Lyin' Eyes" is located in the 'Rock & Blues' Section.
Select 'DSL/Cable' or '56K' version.

I performed & sang this completely "live" in auto accomp arranger mode (no midi backing tracks), and recorded directly to the Tryos2's onboard digital audio sequencer.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-14-2006).]

#94751 - 02/11/06 04:06 PM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I assume you want feedback. I hope! Cuz I hear something odd.

The Tyros sounds very good, Scott. But I hear something very strange at 1:35, when the vocal harmony first starts. It sounds like a flub you forgot to erase or some kind of glitch because to these ears, the vocal harmony is clearly off key for a note or two. Like, way off. It has to be a mistake.

That's one of my fave Eagles songs.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#94752 - 02/11/06 05:10 PM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

I hear something very strange at 1:35, when the vocal harmony first starts. It sounds like a flub you forgot to erase or some kind of glitch because to these ears, the vocal harmony is clearly off key for a note or two.

Bill: picky, picky aren't we?!.

Ok, I went back and re-listened and can hear the (harmony) distortion (two notes) you're referring to, but don't feel it takes away from the overall song. In addition, I'm not sure how easily possible (if at all) the flub could be removed as everything (vocals, keyboard, & vocal harmony parts) were recorded 'all at once' on one stereo track.

As I stated initially, I recorded this completely 'live' (no post editing whatsover) so a glitch can only be expected. I admit the Tyros2's built in vocal harmonizer is far from perfect, but still quite acceptable (at least to me) for live performance. I own & a dedicated TC-Helicon "Voice Works" vocal harmony unit, but for this song, wanted to showcase what I do, solely with the Tyros2 alone.

Ok Bill: Except for the vocal harmonizer glitch you pointed out, curious what you (and others) thought of my rendition of the song otherwise. - Scott

#94753 - 02/11/06 06:35 PM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ... I liked the style on this tune ... what is it called ... (as you know I am not a 'yammie') ...
I thought the vocal was a little 'pitchy' in a couple of spots ...

The thing about recording is that the people listening can go back and listen over and over, and any 'flub' just gets repeated every time ... in a live situation unless it is in a concert setting I would think most 'flubs', unless they are glaring, go unnoticed by the public ...

While the overall affect of the tune is good, I am not sure you are totally comfortable with this type of song ...
t.

#94754 - 02/11/06 08:32 PM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, overall it sounds really good. Some of the phrasing is a little off, but I bet the Eagles don't sing it the same way every time either! Your version is probably closer than mine.
I like the guitar sounds of the T2. Still don't care much for the drum sounds. Your voice, as usual, is clear and clean.
DonM

#94755 - 02/11/06 10:39 PM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Hi Scott. This country/easy rock stuff is really up my alley. I thought the style choice and overall presentation was pretty good. There are so many verses in the song; i wish I'd have heard a little more right hand action between the lines doing some fill-in counterpoint lines. There needed to be something giving the song a little sonic interest since it is so long, to keep the style from sounding repetative. I hear the really light piano stuff you are doing, and it sounds good, but for some of those verses I'd have gotten a little more aggressive with it; brought it out, changed the nice smooth style to something a little more melodic and not so chordal.
Also, i have to agree that the vocal harmonizer did you no justice whatever on this song. The choruses I thought it did a rather horrible job to be honest, on the long words like "hide", and "now". It was shaking all over the place and doing wrong notes. Seeing as how I do not yet own a serious arranger, my brother has a PSR225, so I don't know how these harmonizers work exactly, but it seemed like it was having a hard time figuring out what note you were singing, or figuring out what note it wanted to sing with you.

Overall it was good though; everything you do is good, this one I think though could be much better. Maybe it's just because you are in my style now and I pick it apart a bit more.

#94756 - 02/12/06 05:27 AM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Scott, I thought overall it was very good. I also noticed some different phrasings but I've heard that song a zillion times, so, my brain is expecting the way the Eagles sing it. But overall, very good.

The glitch I mentioned... let me say that I listened through headphones. I don't know if you can hear it without headphones. But...

I've never heard anything like it. If this is a harmonizer error, this is very surprising to me. It is obviously totally offbase. That note is an "Ouch!" You said you recorded it live, so it HAS to be the harmonizer. I find this interesting. That it could be so wrong. Worthy of discussion. It obviously picked up the "wrong" chord to base it on or something. I don't know exactly how a harmonizer works.

Suffice to say, you made fun of my being picky and I assume you don't really think that... a pro like you would surely cringe with this. Anyway, that vocal error would be totally unacceptable to ME. And I'm very surprised a keyboard of that quality would do that.

I just went back and listened again. Yep, that is an "Ouch!" I listened to the chords preceding this. It's on the word "hide" in "You can't HIDE your lying eyes" in the chorus at 1:35.

I'm curious as to how this harmonizer note could be so wrong. Or maybe I'm crazy. I think you wrote that you hear it, too?

I'd try another vocal harmony and see if it sings it right.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#94757 - 02/12/06 06:48 AM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Scott:

The Yammie Vocal Harmonizers are really difficult to work with. I use them all the time to attempt to blend my miserable voice into the song a little better. Usually, at the most inopportune time, I'll get a little "warble" that requires me to either re-cut the entire song or just throw up my hands in disgust. The "Country Girls" back-up appears to be the hardest to control and "Karaoke Mode" seems to be the back-up option that "warbles" the least.

Don Mason advised me a long time ago to reduce the usage of backup on the Yammie and I have tried to cut back as much as the "flavor" of each of my songs would allow.
If only I had access to George Strait!

All my best,

Dave Rice

#94758 - 02/12/06 06:52 AM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, sometimes the kb harmonizers, particularly the Yamahas, pick up extraneous sounds, such as from the speakers, and try to "harmonize" those too. It usually results in something such as what happened here. Unfortunately when you play live it does happen sometimes. It's generally on a loud note when you back off the mic a little, allowing other sounds in. I've found the problem much diminished since I got the Bose PAS.
DonM

#94759 - 02/12/06 06:59 AM Re: Please Listen to: Lyin' Eyes (Eagles) performed LIVE on Tyros2 !
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Funny, I've never heard this problem and I've owned the psr740 and psr2000. I eat the mic when I sing, so, maybe that helps?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online