SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#94593 - 01/12/05 09:28 AM Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Hi everyone, I know this question will bring different opinions. For those that have had the pleasure of owning or spending time with all three of these synth manufactures offerings on the arranger end, which one from first to last do you think has the most realistic sounds and why. Obviously I'm refering to the most recent models offered ex: Korg PA80-PA1x, Roland VA7-G7, Yamaha 9000Pro-Tyros etc. Ease of use is not a factor.

#94594 - 01/12/05 09:41 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Well my take is the PA1x pro has the most realistic sounds, especially playing them solo for recording purpose.

The Tyros has the most realistic sounds when mixed within the arranger styles playing, they work well together,

The Roland is a bit like the Tyros, but I'm going on the VA7 sounds, not the G70, the Roland does the best with midi files sounding the best, but with solo voices they seem a tad weak,

Hope this helps

#94595 - 01/12/05 09:53 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Well my take is the PA1x pro has the most realistic sounds, especially playing them solo for recording purpose.

The Tyros has the most realistic sounds when mixed within the arranger styles playing, they work well together,

The Roland is a bit like the Tyros, but I'm going on the VA7 sounds, not the G70, the Roland does the best with midi files sounding the best, but with solo voices they seem a tad weak,

Hope this helps

So your saying that the Roland sounds better when playing midis. I didn't know that makes a difference, In midi should the internal sounds sound the same as if you play them solo or with a style in arranger mode?

#94596 - 01/12/05 10:46 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I know it doesn't make sense, logically you would think sounds would sound the same regardless. But for some reason Rolands GS platform blends together the best when it comes to playing the most amount of midi files, with the least amount of adjusting.

I know the SD1 sounding very good playing midi files also but the edge is still to Roland.

I guess it comes down the total mix.

#94597 - 01/12/05 11:54 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's been my experience that the Tyros sounds better than the other Yammies. It sounds like a CD.
The Korg PA80 (haven't heard the Pro) and the Ketrons sound more like live bands. Haven't heard a Roland since the G800, but I liked the sounds it had, for the time.
Actually they all have good enough sounds to please me.
DonM

#94598 - 01/12/05 01:49 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I think a lot of the early commercial midi files ( at least here in Australia) were created for Roland gm/gs.
The VA7 came with dozen's of them, some of the same ones I paid a fortune for back in the mid 90's. Played through the 9000pro & the KN7, they just didn't sound as good, maybe with some revoicing, but I didn't bother at the time. Haven't had a korg since the o1w & i2 series, but again, the same midi files didn't sound as good on the korgs as they did on thr roland g800.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
[B] So your saying that the Roland sounds better when playing midis.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#94599 - 01/12/05 08:17 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
mid file playback since most old pro standard is GM/GS sound best with roland.Korg suffers in strings and piano(though it wins in reed/pads/ep/drums dept).
roland does have good midrange sound,where yam is good for Hi's and Korg for lower end relatively.

#94600 - 01/12/05 11:00 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:

The Tyros has the most realistic sounds when mixed within the arranger styles playing, they work well together, the Roland does the best with midi files sounding the best, but with solo voices they seem a tad weak,

Hope this helps

Here is a Midi file where I re-arranged some of the Voices to sound the best on my Tyros. Somebody tell me without batting an eye or crossing their fingers behind their back that a Roland Arranger or any Roland Keyboard has better sound when it comes to Midi playback than this Midi does using my Tyros.

If it is indeed true that Roland excels in midi playback as some people have implied somebody please post a midi song using a Roland Keyboard or Arranger - using 'just' the Keyboard or Arranger with no other enhancements or tricks and record it using a Hard Disk recorder or your PC/Mac recording software and convert it to an .mp3 and post a link here on the Zone so everyone, not just me, can compare and judge for themselves. If it is really true Roland rules the roost regarding midi playback I will be the first one to admit it but so far all I hear is talk, talk, talk, with no solid proof.

>> The proof is always in the pudding they say.

Btw, the song is called "Sono Contento" (They Are Content) by Alex Britti, an Italian.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do:

Sono Contento

Best regards,
Mike

#94601 - 01/12/05 11:29 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
Rebel Offline

I wish a company would build a Keyboard that had all the best features of the Korg PA80-PA1x, Roland VA7-G7, Yamaha 9000Pro-Tyros etc

That would be my dream keyboard, PERFECT...

Another feature I would like to see, Is a keyboard that had the abilty to record MP3 or wav, So you could record your voice while you play...

#94602 - 01/13/05 01:48 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebel:
I wish a company would build a Keyboard that had all the best features of the Korg PA80-PA1x, Roland VA7-G7, Yamaha 9000Pro-Tyros etc

That would be my dream keyboard, PERFECT...

Another feature I would like to see, Is a keyboard that had the abilty to record MP3 or wav, So you could record your voice while you play...

The Gem Genesys can record wave files so you can record singing and playing. You can also put it on C.D. If it is used in the right way, it could be a very comprehencive keyboard.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online