SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#94623 - 01/15/05 07:20 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
What are you guys using to revoice on the Tyros and the PA1xpro,

Are you doing it on the keyboard or a program?

#94624 - 01/15/05 10:04 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
May the best Board win!!

I thought I'd throw my two cents in when it comes to midi files. I do agree with you that good sounds are a top priority when it comes to good midi playback. But I've come to learn that there's even more involved when it comes to realistic reproduction. Accurate sequences (of course) and proper use of effects are also key. With all this said, I still feel that the best sequences, or should I say, the most realistic sequences that "I've" heard are the ones that come preloaded on a GeneralMusic keyboard. Their engineers do such a wonderful job of tweaking these files, shaping the sound so as to be faithful to the original....It's amazing.

But enough talk, here's a sample I put together. 10 to 15 second clips of a handful of songs I thought worthy of your shootout.

I call it:

Midi - mania

All songs were recorded from a 1998 GeneralMusic WK8.

-mike

#94625 - 01/16/05 12:01 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Exound:
Keybplayer can you please send me this Hard Rock midi file,I like it very much?
I will 're-voice' it so that we can compare it with the PA1xPro.

Jan

Jan,

I just sent you the Hard Rock midi file to your email address.

Btw, thank you for posting Nite Funk using your Pa1XPRO! It gives us a glimpse into the Pa1XPRO's midi playback prowess which is much appreciated.

It is up to the 'jury' to decide for themselves how each Board rates.

I myself liked the Pa1XPRO's Acoustic Grand Piano and B3 Organ very much! OTOH I felt the Drums lacked punch and definition and needed to be brought up higher (volume wise) into the Mix in my opinion. Overall it was a good effort by the Korg Pa1XPRO though.

Looking forward to the Hard Rock Midi using your Pa1XPRO! It should prove to be very interesting..

Best regards,
Mike

#94626 - 01/16/05 01:00 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
keybplayer Offline

Mike "msutliff",

Thanks for posting your GEM WK8 midi demos.

For a 7 year old 'technology wise' Board, the WK8 sounds very Good!! Kudos to GEM for their efforts!

PS: I think part of the equation in midi playback is also how well each Board mixes the songs and its accompanying output, i.e. the resulting sound we hear.

For instance how is each part or track brought out or translated into the Mix volume or otherwise. Is each instrument's part cohesive, i.e. does it blend well volume wise with the other instrument part[s] in the Mix? Or is there some disparity in that regard? You want each instrument to be co-equal with the other instruments during playback so they each can be heard distinctly and as they should be in the Mix. In other words - Mixed correctly. How well a Keyboard does that through the technology incorporated into it, is of course a big part of the equation of how well it succeeds in midi playback, not just how good the Voices happen to sound - although that is an even a bigger part of the equation IMO). If you don't have good sounds to begin with you really don't have much unfortunately. Sorry if I've stepped on some toes, but without realistic sounding instruments (Voices) you cannot expect to sound like a real Band which is what us OMB's are all trying to achieve, right? But all the 'different' parts of the equation are all 'important' nonetheless.

DSP's, Effects, EQ's, LFO's, Envelopes, Filters, etc., all play a part in the equation too needless to say.

I also realize that some Midi files are not constructed, i.e. programmed all that good and can contain errors, so that too should be counted into the equation as Mike mentioned.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-16-2005).]

#94627 - 01/16/05 01:00 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Where are the guys from Mediastation.
Here they could really market their MS-76 if it is what they say.

#94628 - 01/18/05 05:22 PM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
Quote:
Jan,

I just sent you the Hard Rock midi file to your email address.

Btw, thank you for posting Nite Funk using your Pa1XPRO! It gives us a glimpse into the Pa1XPRO's midi playback prowess which is much appreciated.

It is up to the 'jury' to decide for themselves how each Board rates.

I myself liked the Pa1XPRO's Acoustic Grand Piano and B3 Organ very much! OTOH I felt the Drums lacked punch and definition and needed to be brought up higher (volume wise) into the Mix in my opinion. Overall it was a good effort by the Korg Pa1XPRO though.

Looking forward to the Hard Rock Midi using your Pa1XPRO! It should prove to be very interesting..

Best regards,
Mike

Thanks Mike for sending this midifile.
Here is the performance of the PA1x.

Hard Rock on PA1xPro

I changed the first Clean Guitar in a Nylon Slide.

I hope you like it.

Jan

#94629 - 01/20/05 12:42 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
keybplayer Offline

Very good Jan!

The PRO really shines through on this song!

The Drums are right where they should be in the Mix... and have a real live sound to them.

The Nylon and Distorted guitars have good realism too. Thanks for sharing the Midi file with us.

Others are welcome to join in on the shootout too. Don't be shy guys...

Putting top notch Boards and Modules through their paces can really be enlightening. Boards like the Ketron SD-1 Plus, the Ketron Midjay Module, The Korg Pa50, the Yamaha PSR 3000, and even various traditional Workstations like the Fantom X or Triton Extreme.

If you want to brag on your Board's Midi playback prowess now is a great opportuntity to do so.

PS: What would be funny is someone posting a Midi from the PSR 3000 and it outshines the Tyros. >> Uh, I take that back... more like scary..

Nah! Ain't gonna happen!!

PS: Sorry if I seemed to have hijacked this thread. The original topic was one of who's Brand Keyboard has the best sounds which led into questions about Midi playback which led into my curiosity as well and the idea of a shootout. If Nigel wants I can post a new thread 'Midi playback shootout', etc. and Nigel (if he chooses to do so) can transfer the posts on this thread related to the shootout to the new thread if that helps and we can continue with the shootout on the new thread.

Best regards,
Mike

#94630 - 01/20/05 01:05 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
o3bor Offline

Quote:

Others are welcome to join in on the shootout too. Don't be shy guys...

Mike, if you send me too the midi file, I'll convert it also on my G-70.
I hope that msutliff will be so gentle to host my new recording too.

#94631 - 01/20/05 07:02 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Yep, no problem. Send it on over.

Oh yeah, I really like the sounds of the new Korg on the Hard Rock midi.

-mike

#94632 - 01/20/05 07:18 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
o3bor Offline

Thanks Mike!
I haven't received the midi file so far.
I guess that keybplayer is still sleeping since he is from CA

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online