SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#94603 - 01/13/05 03:17 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Here is a Midi file where I re-arranged some of the Voices to sound the best on my Tyros. Somebody tell me without batting an eye or crossing their fingers behind their back that a Roland Arranger or any Roland Keyboard has better sound when it comes to Midi playback than this Midi does using my Tyros.

If it is indeed true that Roland excels in midi playback as some people have implied somebody please post a midi song using a Roland Keyboard or Arranger - using 'just' the Keyboard or Arranger with no other enhancements or tricks and record it using a Hard Disk recorder or your PC/Mac recording software and convert it to an .mp3 and post a link here on the Zone so everyone, not just me, can compare and judge for themselves. If it is really true Roland rules the roost regarding midi playback I will be the first one to admit it but so far all I hear is talk, talk, talk, with no solid proof.

>> The proof is always in the pudding they say.

Btw, the song is called "Sono Contento" (They Are Content) by Alex Britti, an Italian.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do:

Sono Contento

Best regards,
Mike

I found a commercial midi file of this song and I adapted it to my Roland G-70 (in a few minutes using Song MakeUP tools).
I recorded the output of the G-70 using Wavelab without any further editing.
Unfortunately I don't have a personal web page; if anyone is available to host the file I recorded, it would be possible to compare it with Mike's one.

#94604 - 01/13/05 06:55 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey o3bor,

Send it to me. I'll host it for a couple of weeks on a test server in my office.

msutliff@tc.umn.edu

-mike

#94605 - 01/13/05 07:33 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
o3bor Offline

Hi Mike!

I sent you the file.
Please confirm that you received it correctly and let all of us know its link.

Thanks very much.

#94606 - 01/13/05 07:41 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
msutliff Offline

Hey o3bor,

Got the files and here's the link:

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/mp3/britti.mp3

Sampled at 543 K/bits...The file is almost 6 Megs in size....Might take a while if you're on dial-up.

-mike

#94607 - 01/13/05 07:45 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
This is getting interesting. The Tyros rendition sounds great. The voices are very clean, excellent drums. The guitars sound good, but Roland is usually very strong in the guitar voices. Should be interesting, but we are comparing MIDI file playback, arrranger playing, or single iinstrument playback might be different.
Starkeeper

#94608 - 01/13/05 08:04 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Hey o3bor,

Got the files and here's the link:

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/mp3/britti.mp3

Sampled at 543 K/bits...The file is almost 6 Megs in size....Might take a while if you're on dial-up.
-mike

Thanks very much, Mike.
Also keybplayer's file was about same size.

Sorry, I didn't check the MP3 tag; it is not correct and it is related to a previous file that I saved for a friend of mine.

Let's wait for comments...

#94609 - 01/13/05 08:06 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Both are very good, but different. I could live with either one--it's hard to say which is better. The Tyros file seems to bring out more of the background sounds. Maybe the lead on the Roland stands out more.
DonM

#94610 - 01/13/05 08:11 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Both are very good, but different. I could live with either one--it's hard to say which is better. The Tyros file seems to bring out more of the background sounds. Maybe the lead on the Roland stands out more.
DonM

I noticed that as well. On the Roland, the guitar in the background is almost inaudible.
The Tyros sounds live where the Roland sounds like a professional CD recording.
Starkeeper

#94611 - 01/13/05 08:23 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
o3bor Offline

Frankly speaking, I didn't work so much on the lead/back balance.
Of course it could be improved or adjusted according to each one's taste.
As I wrote, I just took a commercial midi file and modified the tone selection using MakeUp tools (few minutes) in order to compare the sounds.

#94612 - 01/13/05 08:36 AM Re: Roland, Korg, Yamaha, SOUNDS?
msutliff Offline

Yep, I agree, both sound good but both sound different.

The Tyros sounds crisp and articulate. The Roland sounds mellow, almost subdued. I find it to be the more relaxing of the two when listening back to back. I know I felt better about how the strings sound on the Roland. But then there are those wonderful guitars on the Tyros..........

-mike

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online