SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#93714 - 11/07/02 12:08 PM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Eric, you are the man!

#93715 - 11/07/02 01:48 PM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Everyone should know that the only reason the top Yamaha arrangers were compared was because that was all that Simon and I had handy. I devised this test because I've been curious as to how the Yamaha Tyros' best grand piano compared to the Yamaha 9000 Pro's best and the best grand piano on the Yamaha PLG150-PF piano expansion board. It was meant as an apples-to-apples comparison, but it need not be limited to the top Yamaha models.

Simon has invited other arranger owners (or people who can borrow one), Yamaha or otherwise, to download the three test midi files from his site and try them on your arranger's best piano sound. You'll find the guidelines for creating the comparison MP3's posted with the midi files. If you can produce a fair and comparable MP3 files to the ones we've made, please send it to Simon at SVPWorld so we can all hear it.

#93716 - 11/07/02 04:03 PM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
puzk Offline

1. PLG150PF expansion
2. 9000Pro
3. Tyros

I think the PLG150PF sounds almost the same as the 9000Pro one. They were very similar. Also I think the Tyros piano sound sounds a little 'YAMAHA-ish'. I've noticed that that YAMAHA grand pianos tend to have a bit of a "closed lid" sound.

Anyway that's my opinion. I was wondering can someone try a PSR9000 and PSR2000's pianos? I'm very interested in these as well.

Sunny

#93717 - 11/07/02 09:22 PM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
1. 9000pro
2. Tyros
3. 9000 expansion board

I do agree with DonM that all sound good - just different. Geez, what would I give to play Moon River like that!

Tom G.

#93718 - 11/08/02 03:16 AM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by tracknet:
Great thing that evaluation of piano samples.
And, for my ears, all of three sound well, but I prefer both 9000pro.
I would ask Simon (or someone giving it to Simon) for putting the same mp3 piano samples from PSR2000 (and KN7000 and VA7 if possible). It will be the best way to compare not only between top Yammies.

Yes I would be more than happy to do so, if any psr2000 and KN7000 owners can download the midifiles from my site and send me mp3's recorded from their machines.

If there's any other sounds you would like also compared, send them in as mp3's so that I can upload a corresponding tyros version. Either use the midifiles on my site to create the mp3's or send me your own, as we need to make equivalent comparisons.

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#93719 - 11/08/02 03:18 AM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
svpworld Offline

Quote:
....I've noticed that that YAMAHA grand pianos tend to have a bit of a "closed lid" sound.

Sunny [/B]

Hang on, perhaps I should remove the top casing and rerecord them :-)

------------------

#93720 - 11/09/02 09:00 AM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
I thought they all sounded like they came from the same tone generation system. More treble on the pro and tyros - a little less subdued presence on the pro than the tyros. Overall quality? - wouldn't have em. They just are not as rich as Roland or Ketron's high end. Easily better than Korg - which has the single most over-rated sound arsenal out there - except for Alesis maybe.

MH

#93721 - 11/11/02 06:55 AM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Finally, I got to check out the shoot-out and I'm ready to cast my vote. Incidently, at the link provided by Scott at the top of this thread, there is a new MP3 of the PSR2000's Grand Piano posted for comparison with the 9000 Pro, the PLG150-PF and the Tyros.

I stand by my liking of the PLG150-PF piano expansion card. I'm a big Kurzweil fan and the PLG150-PF is the only Yamaha piano emulation to come close to the warmth and richness of the K's in my opinion. The Yamahas in general tend to decay too quickly in the upper midrange for my taste, with the PLG150-PF having a more natural piano decay than others - some of which can sound very clipped. The overall sharp attack and quick decay makes most Yamahas good for rock 'n roll but bad for solo performance, both in electronic emulations and in the real thing.

As to the arrangers, I was highly impressed with the Tyros piano in comparison to the 9000 Pro and the exp. card. It was warmer than I expected and it sounded better than the native 9000 Pro IMHO (I've never liked the 9000 Pro's native piano sound). This was a pleasant surprise, but in actual use the Tyros could not produce the "Moon River" you hear in this comparison because of it's 61-note keyboard, (the demo was created on the 76-note 9000 Pro) so that has to be taken into consideration.

So my vote goes as follows, based solely on sound:

1. PLG150-PF
2. Tyros
3. 9000 Pro
4. PSR2000 (distant fourth)

As to other brands - I recently heard the Roland 5080 with the piano expansion card and it was superb (and I generally don't like Roland pianos). Korg makes a fine organ. But nobody can top Kurzweil still for electronic piano emulation IMHO and for serious 88-note keyboard performances that'll always be my first choice... too bad they can't make a decent arranger !

#93722 - 11/11/02 07:15 AM Re: VOTE: Which Yamaha Arranger Piano Sounds BEST?
svpworld Offline

Thanks Pro for the comments. I agree with you that the top octaves of yamaha synth pianos often decay rather quickly. The Tyros I've noticed also has rather substantial changes in the brightness with velocity, when compared to the 9000 or 740. All this feedback is great because maybe we can use it to "tweak" the yamaha piano sounds and come up with something more favored!

Now... technics, korg, roland.. where are thou piano!

Simon

------------------

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online