SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#92547 - 07/18/03 11:47 PM Random tidbits from NAMM
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
It is loud in there----kind of like Guitar Center on a Saturday Morning------Very few chances to hear how anything really sounds.

Saw the Korg PX-----mixed feelings on the color touch screen------while attractive, it seemed to me to have a narrow sweet spot, outside of which you can see nothing. It has less field of view than the Pa80/60 or a PSR2000. As to sound,refer to first comment.

For those who have never seen a Tyros, it has the most user-friendly layout that I have yet seen on a keyboard. VERY easy to see everything,understand everything. Yamaha provided headphones so you could actually hear this keyboard. It sounded like a Yamaha arranger.

A.J. was manning the Ketron booth, and was conducting serious business everytime that I walked by,so I did not disturb him. I did get to actually see and touch a SD1-plus------the visual improvements work well-------no more sea of buttons that all look alike------layout is as clear as a PSR2000---------brief audition sounded good, Would like to explore further.

GEM had a Genesis---can't tell you how it sounds, even though it had headphones. Unlike the Yamaha, it was far from intuitive,the screen was stuck on an edit page from which I could not escape. I was not a buyer so I did not disturb the very busy sales reps.

I never caught up with Dano because you cannot hear your phone ring in there--------We both tried to call but no luck.

The coolest stuff there was all guitar-related. Imagine that! I won't bore you guys with this but I could go on and on----------------

These are just some random impressions of the day. I hope to go back Sunday when, I am told,the atmosphere is much more mellow, most of the dealing is done, and the worn-out reps just lay back and let you examine items for yourself. We wil see. My feet hurt..

Bill

#92548 - 07/19/03 08:24 AM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Thanks for your snippets of NAMM Bill. Do you think it would be possible to sneak a pair of headphones in with you on Sunday (in a backpack, etc.) and give the Korg Pa1-XPro a thorough going over if you can?

PS: The CANS should be of Professional quality and would need to have a Flat Frequency response to be an effective judge of the quality of sounds in the Pa1-XPro. Like those found in the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones, etc. Also be aware that if an LCD display's "Contrast" is not adjusted properly it would make it harder to see from an 'angle' or side view. (You would think Korg would adjust it properly from the onset but you never know).

Thanks again Bill for your update and info on NAMM. Too bad your married (figure of speak only) as I suspect you would be there today too if you didn't have other commitments. I know I would.

PS: Enjoy the day off with your family Bill and say hello to the wife and family for us.

{NOTE: Please take all of this with a grain of salt as I KNOW family takes precedent over every other occassion and I am just joking around. }

Best regards,
Mike

#92549 - 07/19/03 08:43 AM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
trtjazz Offline

Mike,
"PS: The CANS should be of Professional quality and would need to have a Flat Frequency response to be an effective judge of the quality of sounds in the Pa1-XPro. Like those found in the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones, etc. Also be aware that if an LCD display's "Contrast" is not adjusted properly it would make it harder to see from an 'angle' or side view. (You would think Korg would adjust it properly from the onset but you never know)."

Gee, you don't ask for much huh?
I'm sure Bill will run right out and buy a $300.00 set of headphones and then probably not get the chance to get close to the 1X....
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#92550 - 07/19/03 08:45 AM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
trtjazz Offline

Bill,
Thanks for being our roving reporter....what cool guitar stuff did they have and did you get a chance to stop by the Stick booth? I'm jealous. Next time take me....I kiss on the first date, uh but no tongues.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#92551 - 07/19/03 09:07 AM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Bill,
I kiss on the first date, uh but no tongues.Terry

Yikes ....that visual is more then I needed to know

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-19-2003).]

#92552 - 07/19/03 10:08 AM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
trtjazz Offline

Donny,
Are you jealous big boy?
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#92553 - 07/19/03 12:01 PM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
Dnj Offline

Terry....

To Each His Own....

Baskin Robbins has 31 Flavors..!

#92554 - 07/19/03 03:23 PM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I'm ready......for the icecream..

#92555 - 07/19/03 04:17 PM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Terry....

To Each His Own....

Baskin Robbins has 31 Flavors..!

My flavor is my lovely wife of 30 years.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#92556 - 07/19/03 06:55 PM Re: Random tidbits from NAMM
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Well----since you ASKED!-----------Cool Guitar Stuff!
The "AdrenaLinn" is an effects box/beat machine/amp modeler/--and then something else, not sure what! I got to meet Roger Linn (inventor of the original Linn Drum) and he demoed this $500 little box that creates tempo sync effects for the guitar. Very synth-like, and I have not described it well at all. For those who like to play with arpegiators---but on a guitar. Much fun

For those who love classic jazz electric guitars, you could do a lot worse than Heritage Guitars. This company was started by some of the original Gibson workforce from Kalimazoo and their big hollow-body electrics are a thing of beauty. A cut above Gibson to these eyes.

Gretsch is back and better than ever. Outstanding line of wonderful guitars (and drums too) retro as hell and proud!
Go to www.gretsch.com and drool!

Thomastik-Infeld was showing a line of guitars and basses with the bodies coated in what they would only call "Andreas Coat" which is a soft unknown material that feels almost fuzzy but has a smooth appearence. You would have to feel it but the guitars are very different from anything out there.Very cool style. They are designed by "Andreas"-------Dreamer, are you moonlighting? Check them out at: www.infeld.biz

Fender is trying to overwhelm the compitition by offering almost anyything that you could imagine. You choose the combo of colors,necks,pickups---and price points. From the Squire budget line to custom-shop, they have it all, and I liked it all!

Much more but after all this IS Synth Zone so I will shut up untill I have more Keyboard reports. And yes, Terry, the Stick people were there with several models but I just walked by. I tell you, the whole thing can be a bit too much at times, there is just too much to take it all in at one time. So, I'm going back!
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill E (edited 07-19-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online